Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Dad's Corner (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/dads-corner-554)
-   -   Hunting and Outdoors with Kids (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/dads-corner-554/hunting-outdoors-kids-402906)

raabta01 12-10-12 01:29 PM

Hunting and Outdoors with Kids

This topic comes up a lot of my house!

I enjoy hunting and fishing. I hunt pheasants, deer, bear (when I get the chance). I will only hunt for animals I will eat. I will fish for anything and throw most of it back.

Right now the kids absolutely love to go fishing and Leslie does too, although I'm the only one that can handle taking the fish off the hook!

The hunting has become a bit of a hot topic lately. Kaydence really wants to start hunting, bears specifically! I told she and Leslie that if she really wants to start hunting that she'll need to spend time with me in the woods learning about animals and hunting, learn gun safety (starting out with a BB gun, then .22lr, etc.) , take the state hunter's safety course, and then start coming with me on hunts. I have also not sugar coated what hunting involves either. She still wants to do it.

The issue is Leslie's mom, and to an extent Leslie aren't very keen on the idea of her hunting at all. I said it's not up to them or me for that matter but to Kaydence and it should be her decision.

Has this topic come up with anyone else? If so how was it handled and at what age do you think in appropriate to introduce a kid to hunting?

lauralkemp 12-10-12 05:01 PM

It has come up perephirally in our house. My husband and his family hunt turkey, havelina, squirrel and elk and deer. I have said that I don't want any kill brought back until we have a house that has room for a freezer for it.

I am not particularly against hunting as long as it is for food and not for sport. I liked fishing as a kid but now its kinda boring.

I agree that alot of education needs to go into hunting and the state safety course is a must.

raabta01 12-11-12 03:59 PM

Haha, Leslie has a rule about game meat. She doesn't want it in the house unless it looks like it came from the grocery store (meaning butchered and packaged). If I brought back a whole animal or something I think she'd be hunting me down!

kimijoi 02-25-13 06:46 AM

We all enjoy hunting.

Lilflowerchild 06-05-13 01:17 AM

My husband hunts and I am the head of a animal rights group.... I know. I have a daughter she is only 9 months old but this topic has came up many times. I am very old fashioned and think that girls should play with baby dolls while boys have there GI Jo's. My husband agrees for the most part. Then he brings up, what if she wants to hunt? I hate to say this but I would not let her. To take a life is so.... I don't even know how to put it. I would not want my daughter to take a life of something. I feel men can handle CERTEN things better then women and taking the life of a animal is one of them. On the other hand, my best friend she hunts and loves it. Her, her brother n father all go together. So I think it's up to you and your daughter. Do you think she could handle watching a animal die because of her. I personally just would not want that for my daughter. Good luck with your decision.