Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Book club discussion going on now!

Book club discussion going on now!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-27-06, 10:09 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 3.43%
Default Book club discussion going on now!

Please join us in the chat room!

Old 03-27-06, 11:13 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 17.71%

So sorry no one else could make it! Rudi and I had a great discussion. Hope to see more people participate next month!

Old 03-27-06, 11:14 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 3.43%

Transcript of our discussion:
[rudolphia] So what was your initial impression after finishing the novel? What jumped out at you?
[mrspook] it was honestly nothing like i expected at all!
[rudolphia] What did you expect?
[mrspook] i assumed that the entire book would take place at the "private hotel" - that the main character would be some poor girl down on
[mrspook] her luck struggling to make a living as a call girl or whatever
[mrspook] i mean i guess that is sort of true but it was interesting how she ended up there
[rudolphia] Charlotte was an odd duck wasn't she? I had a hard time getting into her skin. I didn't identify with her at all.
[mrspook] i felt the same way! i kept trying to imagine being in her shoes.
[mrspook] ok i get leaving your husband cause you spy him cheating on you and obviously no love between them really
[rudolphia] She was so passive and unable to speak up for herself. I think it must have been because she grew up an orphan. But do you think
[rudolphia] there was really no love between them? It was weird love, but some kind was there just the same.
[mrspook] well i think she was happy to have someone pay attention to her and the inital thought of joining a big rich family appealed to
[mrspook] she was extremely passive which i guess was not that uncommom in those times but i thought being an orphan, she would have
[mrspook] learned to take care of herself a little more
[rudolphia] You'd think so. The scene in which Hays courts her is almost like somebody picking out a puppy at the pound.
[mrspook] exactly! his family was an odd bunch of characers themselves

Old 03-27-06, 11:15 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 3.43%

[rudolphia] There were very few conventional relationships in the novel. Even Aunt Lilly and Uncle (can't remember) - she's off getting laid
[rudolphia] at the hotel several nights a week - what's up with that?
[mrspook] lol yeah that was quite interesting! not sure where that came from. i guess the men in that family expected subserviant women
[mrspook] and the woman were choosing not to comply
[rudolphia] Charlotte is I think a more conventional woman for the times than Lilly or the painter upstairs. There are a lot of strong women
[mrspook] she being a big time doctor and all was totally against typical 1900 era stereotypes
[rudolphia] who don't fit with the times in this book.
[rudolphia] IA totally.
[mrspook] were you surprised charlotte slept with arthur?
[rudolphia] Yes and no. Yes, because it's so taboo. No, because Charlotte just falls through life and doesn't decide anything. She let him d
[rudolphia] ecide
[mrspook] i agree. at first i was shocked cause even thou she left hays i kinda thought maybe she would go back after awhile. but like you
[mrspook] said she just follows everyone so when arthur asked she said ok!
[rudolphia] I think the one step Charlotte takes that's active is choosing to help the couple with the bakery. What do you think is the
[rudolphia] significance of that act?
[mrspook] umm embarrassed here but refresh my memory what you are referring to???
[rudolphia] The bakery that makes everybody sick because the pans they got had some sort of contaminant. She lent them money to buy new pansand
[rudolphia] and helped them sink the old ones in the lake so they wouldn't be found.
[mrspook] oh yeah duh ok
[rudolphia]
[mrspook] to be honest i am not sure. she obviously cared about others. i mean the way she loved her horses. waht is your take on it?
[rudolphia] It was like she could speak out for other people who didn't have a voice, but she had no voice herself. She lets Hays speak for
[rudolphia] her.
[mrspook] oh yeah ok very well put
[rudolphia] Charlotte lives in a world of privilege, but she identifies with the lower classes. She seems to form relationships only with
[rudolphia] people like Dickie the cop (who was a poor kid) or the maid who went to work at the hotel (can't remember her name, sorry)
[rudolphia] People like her husband and his relatives are a mystery to her
[mrspook] very true. i don't think she ever allowed herself to fit in to her new class. she preferred to stay with the lower class.
[rudolphia] So who was your favorite character? Did you find anyone to identify with?
[mrspook] ohh that is hard. there were so many interesting characters in the book. arthur, moaxley, the painter lady upstairs, the drunk
[mrspook] drugged up wife next door. so colorful!
[rudolphia] I liked Dickie the best. He seemed the most at peace in his own skin.
[mrspook] as far as identifying myself with one character, no not really
[rudolphia] He also seemed motivated to rekindle the friendship with Charlotte and to help her understand her origins
[rudolphia] So few people in this book had any motivation at all!
[mrspook] yes true. he kinda seemed like the bridge between her past, the present, and leading to her future
[mrspook] most of them just did as they pleased.

Old 03-27-06, 11:16 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 3.43%

rudolphia] What do you think the future holds for Charlotte? Will she make things work with Hays, do you think?
[mrspook] at the end she was going back to him right? without any questions about who the woman was or anything?
[rudolphia] It seemed like it. By coming to get her, he's proven to her that he chooses her and wants her, so she's going back. But will she
[rudolphia] stay? Will getting her own house separate from his family be enough?
[mrspook] i am not sure. if she could get pg and they lived in a seperate house, i think she would just slip back into her old life
[mrspook] without thought. i really can't see her making sneak trips into the city to stay at the hotel!
[rudolphia] No, the hotel seems to be a different world. I may be on crack, but when I finished this book, I got the distinct feeling that
[mrspook] but getting thru that illness and long bed confinement you would think change her more but it only did for a brief time and then
[mrspook] she was back to her old subserviant self. honestly that disappointed me. i thought she would grow as a character more.
[mrspook] unless i missed something
[rudolphia] I think she did grow a bit, though. By betraying Hays, she kind of evened the score, and by going with Dickie to find her
[rudolphia] bio parents but choosing not to meet them she actually makes a choice. I think there is some movement, albeit slow.
[mrspook] true. baby steps i guess. i mean all of this really did happen in a short period of time right?
[rudolphia] And she DOES insist on her own home. I think that's the biggest thing. I think the book takes place over the course of 1-2 weeks
[rudolphia] Anyway, the weird impression I got was a parallel with Alice in Wonderland. It's like seeing Hays kissing the other woman sends
[rudolphia] Charlotte plummeting down the rabbit hole, and she ends up at this hotel where everything is weird.
[mrspook] lol OMG that is great! well done rudi!
[rudolphia] Lilly is like the white rabbit that leads her there. There's so much farce - the baby races, the weird "tea party" at the painte
[mrspook] wow! were you an english lit major in college or something?? not my best subject i assure you . . .
[rudolphia] r's house. Sorry - English major going nuts here!
[mrspook] no no go on! you are so right! lol
[rudolphia] And Arthur is kind of like the Mad Hatter - misleading and talking in riddles. And by finding her own parents and being confront
[rudolphia] ed by Hays, she gets back to her real world. Am I on crack?
[mrspook] wow i am so impressed i can hardly contain myself! totally not on crack at all! i agree 100%!
[mrspook] but never could have come up with that on my own! lol
[rudolphia] Oh, stop!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools