Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Genre challengers - nosy question

Genre challengers - nosy question

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-13-09, 06:59 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 492.5%

I don't like classics, horror, history, bodice-ripping romance, biographies, or memoirs. I like good-old fiction with a happy ending or a nice drawn-out Western epic. I'm not going to do the challenge.

Old 01-14-09, 12:16 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 4.19%

Chicken....

Old 01-14-09, 12:25 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 4.19%

For you folks who don't like horror, may I suggest one of the lighter Stephen King books? For example, The Green Mile or Hearts in Atlantis? I also highly recommend The Stand, but it is a very long book (close to 1,000 pages).

Technically, these books are categorized as horror, but they deal with the supernatural without being gory or really scary. King is a great writer, which is why I've read everything he's written even though I'm not a horror fan per se. My favorites of his books are those that are not terribly scary or gory, and these are the best in that genre. I also like Different Seasons, which is a collection of four short novels, two of which were the inspiration for the very non-horror films The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me. Of the other two novellas, one is supernatural but not terribly gory or scary, and the other has some gory stuff in it. It's a great book overall though. Just my

Old 01-14-09, 08:25 AM
CL & Mommy of 2 girls!

Thanked 132 Times
Weekly Activity 0.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolphia View Post
Technically, these books are categorized as horror, but they deal with the supernatural without being gory or really scary.
I think I do better with gory rather than supernatural. Supernatural freaks me out. I tried to read The Stand once and quit - it was too scary for me. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Old 01-14-09, 09:47 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 21.63%

Thanks for the recommendations Rudi! I have seen many a Steven King movie but never read any of his books for some unknown reason.

Latest Articles
Baby Food: Jarred or Homemade?
The trend for Moms to make their own baby food instead of buying jarred baby food is rising. Here is some advice on how to choose what to feed your baby when beginning your baby on solid foods.

28 Baby Products That Save Time & Make Your Life Easier
After baby arrives, your time will be precious. Here are some of our favorite time savings baby products that are must haves for any Mom. Includes Editor's picks, and favorites from Moms and Dads to help make your life easier.

Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools