Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Genre Spotlight for January: GENERAL NON-FICTION

Genre Spotlight for January: GENERAL NON-FICTION

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-07-09, 10:32 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%
Default Genre Spotlight for January: GENERAL NON-FICTION

There are several categories of non-fiction in the 2009 Challenge; Biography, History and Memoir are always non-fiction, for example. The General Non-Fiction category could be used to read any of those specific types of non-fiction, or something that doesn't fall into any of them.

Non-fiction is defined as an account or representation of a subject which is presented as fact. This presentation may be accurate or not; that is, it can give either a true or a false account of the subject in question. However, it is generally assumed that the authors of such accounts believe them to be truthful at the time of their composition. Note that reporting the beliefs of others in a nonfiction format is not necessarily an endorsement of the ultimate veracity of those beliefs, it is simply saying that it is true that people believe that (for such topics as mythology, religion). Nonfiction can also be written about fiction, giving information about these other works. (Source, Wikipedia)

I think high school librarian Cathy Belben does a good job of outlining the characteristics of High-Quality Non-Fiction:

1. Good non-fiction is INTERESTING.
A "good" book isn't the same for everyone, but an interesting book is any one that appeals to a particular reader's interests and holds that interest throughout the text.

2. Good non-fiction is INTRIGUING.
Good books--fiction or non-fiction, create and satisfy curiosity about a set of characters, a situation, or a topic.

3. Good non-fiction is INSIGHTFUL.
Insight is the ability to look at a topic with a unique perspective and share that perspective with readers. An insightful book shows us something new about a topic that we hadn't thought about before.

4. Good non-fiction is INSPIRING.
This one is certainly open for debate, but the best books are those that inspire me to act. Maybe they make me want to write a letter to the editor, or maybe they make me want to start exercising or call a forgotten friend. The best books are life-altering.

5. Good non-fiction is ENTERTAINING.
What's "entertaining" obviously differs from person to person, but I consider anything entertaining that somehow affects me emotionally--primarily if it makes me laugh, scares me, or keeps me in suspense.

6. Good non-fiction is EDUCATIONAL.
Good educational materials utilize a variety of strategies: they show us pictures or offer anecdotes, give details about the topic, and illustrate the ideas in such a way that when we finish reading, we know something we didn't know before.

For those readers of non-fiction, we'd love to have you post what you like about non-fiction, along with an example of a book you feel is a great piece of general non-fiction.

Last edited by rudolphia; 01-07-09 at 10:46 PM.

Old 01-07-09, 10:36 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

My favorite non-fiction books are those that fulfill my need for information and aren't dry or boring. I think the best examples of that are Freakonomics and the Malcolm Gladwell books (Blink for example). Both of those give really fascinating information about trends we all notice. Even a non-fiction hater like me can't resist.

Old 01-07-09, 11:40 PM
CL & Mommy of 2 girls!

Thanked 132 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I really enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell as well.

Old 01-07-09, 11:51 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

Well I am not a usual reader of non fiction except for pregnancy and baby parenting books but I recently read Against Medical Advice - the James Patterson and Hal Friedman true story about Hal's son Cory who has Tourette's syndrome and it was really very interesting. I have a facination with medical conditions so I would probably lean towards those type of non fiction books myself.

Old 01-13-09, 01:46 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Does a Self-Help book count for this catergory?

Latest Articles
Celebrity Baby Watch November 2014
Find out whose pregnant, and whose expecting in our monthly celebrity pregnancy and births update for November, 2014.

The Importance of Baby Talk and Why Fathers Need to Do it More
A new study shows that verbal communication with babies happens more by Moms more than Dads. If you are a new Dad, here are some tips for talking more to your baby.

Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools