Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Entertainment >
January's chat book - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

January's chat book - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Reply Post New Topic

• rudolphia rudolphia's Avatar 12-01-10 | 12:31 PM
  • Thank you, Laura, for your nomination! I read this more than 20 years ago, but I really liked it. It'll be nice to check back in with Marguerite (Maya Angelou's birth name).

Amazon.com Review

In this first of five volumes of autobiography, poet Maya Angelou recounts a youth filled with disappointment, frustration, tragedy, and finally hard-won independence. Sent at a young age to live with her grandmother in Arkansas, Angelou learned a great deal from this exceptional woman and the tightly knit black community there. These very lessons carried her throughout the hardships she endured later in life, including a tragic occurrence while visiting her mother in St. Louis and her formative years spent in California--where an unwanted pregnancy changed her life forever. Marvelously told, with Angelou's "gift for language and observation," this "remarkable autobiography by an equally remarkable black woman from Arkansas captures, indelibly, a world of which most Americans are shamefully ignorant." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Last edited by rudolphia; 02-12-11 at 12:48 AM..
  • lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 12-01-10 | 04:44 PM
  • Aww, thanks for helping my procastination be a thing of the past.
  • MrsPook MrsPook's Avatar 12-03-10 | 11:20 AM
  • I read this in high school but can barely remember it so I am curious to give it another shot!