Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment King Fans, Get Ready!

King Fans, Get Ready!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-02-08, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Talking King Fans, Get Ready!

Stephen King has a new book due out this month!! Duma Key: A Novel is due to be released on January 22.

Here's a quick preview of what to expect...

from Amazon:
Six months after a crane crushes his pickup truck and his body self-made millionaire Edgar Freemantle launches into a new life. His wife asked for a divorce after he stabbed her with a plastic knife and tried to strangle her one-handed (he lost his arm and for a time his rational brain in the accident). He divides his wealth into four equal parts for his wife, his two daughters, himself and leaves Minnesota for Duma Key, a stunningly beautiful, eerily remote stretch of the Florida coast where he has rented a house. All of the land on Duma Key, and the few houses, are owned by Elizabeth Eastlake, an octogenarian whose tragic and mysterious past unfolds perilously. When Edgar begins to paint, his formidable talent seems to come from someplace outside him, and the paintings, many of them, have a power that cannot be controlled. Soon the ghosts of Elizabeth's childhood return, and the damage of which they are capable is truly terrifying. Like Lisey's Story, this is a novel about the tenacity of love and the perils of creativity. Its supernatural elements will have King fans reeling.

Old 01-02-08, 12:12 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

I have to honestly say I have never read a King book before.
But I have seen several movies and enjoyed the storylines and this one sounds good so I may have to add it to my list.

Old 01-02-08, 01:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

My husband loves Stephen King. I think I just found his valentines gift

Old 01-02-08, 06:37 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I read everything by King, so I'll be getting this one. Thanks for the heads-up.

Michelle, if you want an easy, non-horror King book recommendation, try Different Seasons. It includes four novellas, one of which is the basis for The Shawshank Redemption and another which is the basis for Stand by Me. It's one of my favorites, and you can easily just try one novella and leave it if you don't like it.

Old 01-02-08, 08:50 PM
~Nightwalker~

Thanked 35 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I can't wait to get it. I love his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolphia
Michelle, if you want an easy, non-horror King book recommendation, try Different Seasons. It includes four novellas, one of which is the basis for The Shawshank Redemption and another which is the basis for Stand by Me. It's one of my favorites, and you can easily just try one novella and leave it if you don't like it.
Another one is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It was a pretty good novel, and non-horror. Also, he has a collection of tales called Everything's Eventual. Some of the stories in there aren't too horrific.

Latest Articles
Celebrity Baby Watch November 2014
Find out whose pregnant, and whose expecting in our monthly celebrity pregnancy and births update for November, 2014.

The Importance of Baby Talk and Why Fathers Need to Do it More
A new study shows that verbal communication with babies happens more by Moms more than Dads. If you are a new Dad, here are some tips for talking more to your baby.

Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools