Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment March book club pick: The Suicide Index: Putting My Father's Death in Order by Joan Wickersham

March book club pick: The Suicide Index: Putting My Father's Death in Order by Joan Wickersham

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 02-02-09, 02:52 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Lightbulb March book club pick: The Suicide Index: Putting My Father's Death in Order by Joan Wickersham

Well, I drew three times, and it kept coming up my pick. I'm sure this one will scare Sharyn away! Anyway, I have heard wonderful things about this memoir, so I hope everyone will join in.

From Publishers Weekly
In spare prose, Wickersham (The Paper Anniversary) has produced an artful and vivid memoir. Within the index of suicide, she has found a form capacious enough for both intimate detail and general information; cold data and lyric moments; for mystery and for consolation. As she follows her father's suicide chronologically from his death through a passage of 15 years, she doubles back through family history (her mother's, her father's, her husband's), telling the story under such subheads as anger about, other people's stories about, possible ways to talk to a child about, romances of mother in years following. Her search takes in matters as mundane as the police investigation, as academic as the nature of biography and as disquieting as the issue of suicide. The elementary facts—when, where, and how—are straightforward, even simple: My father got up early one morning, went into his study, and shot himself, but her pursuit of why leads Wickersham and her reader into the unanswerable questions [and] unresolvable paradoxes that give her book classic qualities. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review
"* "No one can ever fully answer the devastating question that suicide remains for those left behind, yet here, in Joan Wickersham's exquisitely straightforward story, I found surprising consolation. It is a love story, a mystery, a quiet tragedy, a dark comedy, and a profoundly absorbing modern family saga. It will stay with me for a very long time." Julia Glass, author of A Three Dog Life"

Written in the form of an index, an acknowledgment of Wickersham's inability to frame her father's act in any conventional linear form, this memoir is written in a cool, economical and ultimately piercing style utterly devoid of easy pathos or cliché. Anyone prone to facile dismissal of the memoir as literary high art should be silenced by the perfection of Wickersham's prose and her ability to hold the facts and her feelings up to the light, turning them again and again to reveal yet another facet of grief, anger, love, pity and guilt. --Laura Miller, Salon.com (Dec. 8, 2008)

Last edited by rudolphia; 04-01-09 at 11:46 PM.

Old 02-02-09, 03:16 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

Not my usual thing, but I am willing to give it a try!

Old 02-13-09, 10:38 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I just finished this, and it was a really well written and affecting memoir. I hope you all like it as well.

Old 02-28-09, 04:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Bad News- My library does not have this book. They searched other libraries in our county's and they didn't have it either. Looks like I will have to skip this one.

Old 03-01-09, 01:04 PM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

Bummer! Sorry Amber!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools