Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Nominate a poetry book for May's chat

Nominate a poetry book for May's chat

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 04-04-11, 09:05 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%
Exclamation Nominate a poetry book for May's chat

This will be a departure for us in the Reading Room. We've never chatted about poetry before. Please post a poetry book nomination for May.

By the way, kids, most poetry books are printed in very small runs and are not stocked by libraries. Libraries tend to stock anthologies (multi-hundred-page collections full of dead poets), so will we almost certainly have to buy whatever book is selected.

Last edited by rudolphia; 04-04-11 at 09:26 AM.

Old 04-04-11, 09:23 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I'll nominate Two and Two by Denise Duhamel.

From Publishers Weekly
People who never buy books of poetry will find a compelling reason to buy this one: at its center is a long poem constructed out of the e-mail detritus of 9/11, when citizens and survivors from all over the world poured their grief onto global listservs, as well as of news sound bites, bits of trauma-related classroom exercises, profiles of bin Laden and others, as well as elegies for the victims. Along with Michael Gottlieb's "The Dust," the poem, titled "Love Which Took Its Symmetry for Granted" is one of the few versifications of the tragedy and its aftermath that is genuinely affecting, switching among its many voices and discourses cleanly (if not seamlessly), and giving a sense of the poet's own attempts to come to terms with what has happened. The rest of the book is perfectly good, moving among familiar modes of high-low juxtaposition, childhood remembrance, workday challenge and wry pop cultural exploration with ease. A funny, touching prose poem about Duhamel's relationship with the poet Nick Carbó closes things out: "Duhamel has essentially erased all other women in Carbó's life but herself." A similar sense of depth dipped in whimsy pervades throughout; it's what saves Duhamel's elegiac bricolage from mawkishness. (Apr.)

Old 04-04-11, 10:27 AM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

I nominate this. I loved these as a kid. My mom has an autgraphed copy that I hope she can track down and lend me if it gets chosen.

The Poetry of Robert Frost

From Library Journal

Debuting in 1969, 1972, and 1959, respectively, these three volumes offer a massive collection of Frost's work, with a little bit of overlap. The Reader additionally includes essays, interviews, and numerous samplings of Frost's other writings. If you find yourself even slightly Frost-free, this trio will put you right.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Review

"Of all the poetry written in our generation, Frost's is most likely to stand the test of time." --Lewis Gannett

"Of U.S. poets, none has lodged poems more surely where they will be hard to get rid of. . . . His lines often have the trenchancy and inevitability of folk sayings." --Time

"No other American poet has so much art or so much subject matter." --Mark Van Doren

"Frost was the first American who could be honestly reckoned a master-poet by world standards." --Robert Graves

Old 04-14-11, 02:56 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I will nominate Walt Whitman: Selected Poems 1855-1892 by Walt Whitman and Gary Schmidgall.

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Whitman-S...760356&sr=8-22

Review
"Finally, an edition of Whitman that doesn't overwhelm with too much material or starve with too little. Perfect for the classroom...presenting the best poems in their original form, when they were still closest to Whitman's inspiration."-- Ed Folsom, Whitman scholar and editor of the Walt Whitman Quarterly

"It's as if the silk cloth has dropped from the monument-- here at last in all its rugged, gleaming grandeur. Gary Schmidgall's thrilling new edition of Whitman restores the poet's true voice-- at once radical and intimate, tender and triumphant. This book vividly reminds us that Whitman's poems are the soul's-cry and heart's-blood of the American imagination."-- J. D. McClatchy, critic and poet

"A valuable new collection...present[ing] all the poems in their first published form."-- The New York Times Book Review

Old 04-14-11, 10:49 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

UGH! I am not a poetry fan at all (except fun kids ones like Shel Silverstein) so I have no idea what to nominate. I will just try to read whatever you all pick! lol
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools