Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Nominate a Romance book for February's chat

Nominate a Romance book for February's chat

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-03-11, 12:00 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%
Lightbulb Nominate a Romance book for February's chat

Just in time for Valentine's day, our February chat genre is Romance

Please nominate a Romance book for our February chat. I will try my best not to hurl

Old 01-03-11, 12:45 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I struggle to find a romance novel to nominate. I have spent the last hour poring over lists of the best romance novels ever, looking up synopses on Amazon, and trying to decide whether anyone will kill me for nominating a Bronte or Austen book.

Ultimately, I'm picking a modern classic that I know is decently written, will still be stocked in most libraries, and fulfills the spirit of a romantic book for February. And since it's an old books, I'm guessing most of you won't have read it. I haven't read it in more than 25 years.

Love Story by Erich Segal
From the Publisher
This is the wonderful, tumultuous, heartfelt story of Oliver Barrett IV and Jenny Cavilleri--the story of a rich Harvard jock and a wisecracking Radcliffe music major who have nothing in common but love . . . and everything else to share but time. Funny and flip, sad and poignant, Erich Segal's magnificent novel will grab you, hold you, and stay with you forever. You, like more than twenty million others, will fall in love with Love Story.

Old 01-05-11, 11:32 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

This looks fairly new so I hope it wont be a problem to check-out. But I honestly cannot look at half naked cowboys anymore so Im just picking out of the blue here.

Im nominating Kiss Me If You Can by Carly Phillips.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Me-You-Ca...4287369&sr=8-1

In this entertaining and sexy romance, Sam Cooper becomes the city's most eligible bachelor after foiling a jewelry store robbery. Lexie Davis, however, is only interested in the ring Coop chose as his reward, for her grandmother Charlotte owns the matching necklace. But Davis's attitude changes when she meets Cooper and sparks fly, much to the excitement of Lexie's feisty grandma and her longtime friend Sylvia. As Coop and Lexie delve into the ring's dubious history, they realize that their attraction is more than skin deep: Coop understands Lexie's self-consciousness with her family and Lexie believes in Coop's writing dreams. While the pair cannot deny their passion and growing commitment, Lexie's wandering spirit and Coop's resistance to change leave them feeling cold. This fun and romantic summer read, while occasionally over the top, will please readers with its mischievous characters, red-hot passionate encounters, and spirited plot.
(c) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.

Old 01-06-11, 11:37 AM
is ready for some football!!
Michelle - VIP CL

Thanked 793 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

Not my genre either so I am taking a shot in the dark too! Might be fun to laugh at a silly book! lol

I will nominate The Trouble with Valentine's Day by Rachel Gibson.

From Publishers Weekly
"There [is] nothing like one whole day devoted to lovers to make a single girl feel like a loser," muses Kate Hamilton, the heroine of Gibson's frothy new romance set in Gospel, Idaho. When Kate's advances are rebuffed by the sexy man sitting next to her in a bar on Valentine's Day, she feels the sting of rejection—which is soon compounded by humiliation when she learns that the stranger is Rob Sutter, owner of the sporting goods store located next to her grandfather's grocery. Both Rob and Kate have skidded to a halt in Gospel—Kate after her work as a PI unwittingly armed a man with information to track down and kill his family, and Rob after his pro hockey career was derailed by a gun-toting psychopath. Instead of exploring this weighty material, Gibson focuses on such lighthearted frolics as whipped-cream fights in the aisles of Kate's grocery store. Because Rob remains literally and figuratively behind the wheel of his Hummer and Kate never fully faces her own demons, their romance lacks emotional heft. Gibson also portrays Gospel's elderly citizenry as cartoonish, rendering what could have been a poignant romance between Kate's grandfather and Rob's mother as condescendingly sweet. The novel begins and ends on Valentine's Day, and the rest of the story never transcends the holiday's reputation for false promises.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
*Starred Review* Kate Hamilton is a private detective on hiatus because after she helped a man find his family, he turned out to be a homicidal maniac. She is looking for some R & R at her widowed grandfather's house in Gospel, Idaho. En route, she stops at a ski lodge in Sun Valley and decides to break her own rules by having a one-night stand with a gorgeous man. But much to her chagrin, he not only turns her down, he also lectures her. Rob Sutter wants nothing to do with loose women in bars. His last partner in forbidden love was a pyscho stalker who shot him, ending his career as a professional hockey player. When Kate gets to her grandfather's, she meets his new friend, none other than the dream guy from the ski lodge. Now Kate has to prove to Rob that she is not really a slut. Unabashed matchmakers, including a romantic, second-time-around older couple and some of the world's worst poets, populate the close-knit community that award-winning Gibson brings so vividly to life in this heartwarming, small-town romance filled with humor, charm, and passion. Shelley Mosley
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Old 01-06-11, 01:17 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1187.14%

The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux

I love her work and this is such a neat concept but still a romance so it might appeal to those of you who don't usually follow the genre and those of who do might have already read it, it's an easy reread.

As much as I love the romance genre I have a hard time finding something to recommend because I have comfort authors and comfort series. Romance for me is escape and no thinking allowed just a good read.
This is an exception. It make you think about past choices and the what ifs we all have. I totally think you'll like these women and their stories.
Amazon.com Review

What if a woman could go back to the beginning and rethink her choices for love and life? When Leslie Headrick, Madison Appleby, and Ellie Abbott first met, they were in their early 20s and the world lay before them with its infinite possibilities. Now that they're about to turn 40, they reunite for a weekend at a summerhouse in Maine where they share the details of their lives during the past 20 years. Each woman has serious doubts and questions about the path she chose to follow, but none of them suspect the startling opportunity they're about to be offered to relive those choices and change their futures. Thought-provoking, entertaining, and downright delightful, Jude Deveraux's The Summerhouse deftly develops the individual stories of the three women in fascinating detail while maintaining the overall focus on the central tale. The ties of sisterhood and shared experience that bind the three resonate with depth and clarity--no wonder then that Deveraux is a perennial favorite with readers. There is little doubt that this volume will join her lengthy list of bestsellers. --Lois Faye Dyer --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly

"If you had to do it all over again, what would you do?" is the question Deveraux poses in this wistful novel of second chances. Twenty-five years into her career, with 26 New York Times bestsellers to her credit and 30 million copies of her books in print, the author serves up the following situation: 19 years ago, Leslie, Madison and Ellie met while waiting in line to get their licenses renewed at the New York City Department of Motor Vehicles. Sharing the same birthday, they became instant friends. Now they're all turning 40, and although they haven't seen each other since that long-ago day, when Ellie invites the others for a reunion in Maine, they agree to attend. Once there, they realize that their lives haven't turned out as planned. But then the trio stumble across Madame Zoya of Futures, Inc., who make them an irresistible offer: they can relive any three weeks from the past, armed with the knowledge since gained. Afterwards, they must decide: should they stick with the lives they have or go with the new futures they've created? The conceit of the DMV meeting and subsequent reunion functions as a clunky device to let the women tell their individual tales of woe; the idea that they're soul mates even though they only met once and never kept in touch requires a considerable stretch of the imagination. When they do go back in time, like 40-years-olds trying to play 20 at a costume party, the conversations are youthfully banal. The eternal allure of lives relived rescues the tale, but this lukewarm effort is strictly for loyal fans. The best thing about time travel in Deveraux's world? Instant weight loss. Major ad/promo.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools