Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Entertainment Recommendation: Promise Me by Nancy G. Brinker

Recommendation: Promise Me by Nancy G. Brinker

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 11-20-10, 03:09 PM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Thumbs up Recommendation: Promise Me by Nancy G. Brinker

I just finished an amazing book called Promise Me: How a Sister's Love Launched the Global Movement to End Breast Cancer by Nancy G. Brinker Founder of SUSAN G. KOMEN FOR THE CURE.

This book moved me to tears, laughs and the desire to get out my own shoebox to help fundraising for this amazing cause. As a great-granddaughter of someone who had Breast Cancer, as a granddaughter of someone who had Breast Cancer, and as a daughter of someone who had Breast Cancer; my family can only say THANK YOU to Nancy for fulfilling your sister's promise, because it has lead to women all over the world to call themselves survivors. And Im proud to say 3 are of them are in my family alone.

I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Me-Sis...0279921&sr=1-1

In this compelling memoir, the 64-year-old founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure mixes details from her soap opera–like life with facts about breast cancer. Nancy Goodman of Peoria, Illinois, morphs from a chubby Jewish girl (in second grade, she tips the scale at more than 100 pounds) to a nearly six-foot glamazon. After breast cancer kills her beautiful 36-year-old sister, Suzy, Nancy starts the world’s largest breast-cancer charity in her memory. At age 37, she discovers a lump in her own chest. Nancy gets by with a little help from her second husband, Norman Brinker, the casual-dining gazillionaire and a member of the Susan G. Komen board from its inception in 1982 until his death last year. Cowritten with Joni Rodgers (author of the cancer memoir Bald in the Land of Big Hair, 2001), the book does take some liberties, and Nancy drops names (she spent time with Betty Ford and was a U.S. ambassador for George H. W. Bush and chief of protocol for George W.) and settles some scores. But readers will find much to admire. --Karen Springen

Old 12-10-10, 05:46 PM
is in the holiday mood!
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

That sounds like a good read. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for a good book to read. It's been too long for me.

Old 12-11-10, 02:16 AM
Community Member

Thanked 175 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Your welcome, welcome to TBC!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools