Baby Corner

Old 11-20-04, 05:40 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Anyone done assisted hatching?

Anyone had this done with their embies? Just wondering what exactly they do and if it makes a difference and in fact why they do it?

I've started taking progvnova in readiness to transfer the 2 lone rangers.
I have a scan on Nov 29th to see where we are.
Never done a FET before, so feel like a FET Virgin as opposed to an IVF Stim Veteran!
JB

Last edited by Elizabeth; 11-18-13 at 04:35 PM.

Old 11-20-04, 08:37 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%

I just did assisted hatching with my cycle (fresh). What they do is "cut" a tiny slit into the egg so that the sperm can enter more easily. I have no clue how they would do it on a FET, because you won't have eggs, you have embies already.

I would ask questions about that.

GOod luck with your meds!

Keep us posted.

Old 11-20-04, 10:26 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Monique, I think you are confusing assisted hatching with ICSI.

JB, there is a "shell" (which is really a protein) around the embryo. As we older gals get more and more ancient, this shell thickens. As the cells go forth and multiply, the embryo expands and starts to pop out of the shell. With assisted hatching, the embryologists give you a step up on the embryo's normal activity. They use a hatching solution which basically makes a hole in the shell. The embryo has an easier time of emerging and getting to your uterine lining. Assisted hatching is supposed to increase your shot at implantation. In addition to us old folks, drs also use this procedure with women with high fsh and multiple IVF failures.

Good luck with losing your virginity

Old 11-20-04, 12:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've had AH on my last 2 IVF's and this current FET. I believe it is a certain type of acid they put on the outer shell (zona) because the embryo needs to hatch from that. For me I had thick zona's and they thought maybe the embryos couldn't hatch out. It doesn't necessarily help implantation, it helps the embryo get out of the zona so it can implant. With AH you have a slightly higher risk of identical twins because sometimes they don't make the hole big enough and when the embryo tries to escape, it splits in half.

Old 11-20-04, 03:11 PM
Miracles Happen

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think everyone has covered what AH is. It was done on our last fresh cycle. I guess they do it to all embryos at the clinic I went to now. My first fresh cycle they didn't but this second time over a year later they did. Maybe because I had so many failures??
Good luck
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools