Baby Corner

Old 09-14-05, 10:10 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Assisted Hatching and Identical Twins

I am sorry if this question has been asked many times over, but my friend just did a fresh IVF cycle in VA and it was a BFN. She only had 4 embies left out of 18 eggs....but did not do AH. She said the doc told her the "high risk" of ID twins? What is so high risk about ID twins? I mean....I realize carrying twins can be high risk....but what does the AH have to do with it? My cousin just had ID twins naturally...and they are fine? Can ya'll enlighten me, so I can enlighten her to go for IVF #2 with AH? She will be 40 in November!

thanks,
Kristi

Old 09-15-05, 06:54 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hi. I'm 41 and just gave birth to twins (fraternal). I was high risk due to my history of miscarriages. I also had assisted hatching. My IVF clinic automatically does AH. No one ever said that it would increase my odds of having identical twins. I keep in touch with lots of women at my clinic and none of them had identicals. There were several twins but all fraternal. AH is typically performed with older women. As we get older, the "shell" of the embryos get harder. The hole that is made in the shell helps the embryo "hatch" out so it can implant. I guess this type of intervention may assist in the embryo splitting in two.

Theoretically, fraternal twins are easier to carry because they are separated. When you have identicals, certain problems can arise like twin to twin transfusion etc. If one of my twins wasn't healthy, it would not have effected the other. I know when women are considering selective reduction of triplets or more, the drs usually say to reduce the identicals (if they are in the batch).

I recommend that your friend check out

and read the "PG with Twins or More" board. She can post any of her questions there.

Old 09-15-05, 11:11 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Thank you very much!!!! That info was extremely helpful!!

xoxo,
Kristi

Old 09-15-05, 02:17 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Kristi, I did AH too and had 3 embies transfered. Never heard anything about ID twins. In fact my clinic told me there was less than 1% chance for that to happen. ?? Good luck to your friend. Leslie
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools