Baby Corner

Old 09-24-05, 11:32 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Bummed in Maine

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've missed out the last week or so (was teaching a workshop) - I've been trying to catch up on what's going on with everyone.....

As for myself, late Friday afternoon I went for a follow up ultrasound to find out what's going on with those cysts. The news wasn't great. The big cyst is still there, about 6cms, the size of a clementine, and, as the technician pointed out, "bigger than your uterus". It is a complex cyst and the Dr who read the ultrasound results said he thinks it's probably an endometrioma, ie. chocolate cyst (a form of endometriosis).

The whole thing is quite a surprise - we knew for certain we had male infertility due to DH's vasectomy reversal, but I never suspected anything would be going on with me since every other test I've ever had has been fine and my periods have always been completely unexceptional.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to call any of my doctors, but I don't see how I'm going to get in that drug trial at this stage, so for now it's no IVF for me. I have $35,000 in student loans and forking out another $20,000 (or more) for IVF is just not an option. I am not a happy camper, and am wondering if I might even need to have surgery - at least that should be covered. Life's a ***** at the moment and I am really pissed off!

There is a little silver lining though. The Dr said my uterus and left ovary looked perfect and that he even saw FOUR 10-11mm follicles just sitting there and that they looked like what might be about to be retrieved for an IVF cycle. That made me a little happier, but I'm now so confused - this was the last day of my period and I thought follicles were normally ready when you were about to ovulate....? I just wish they could go in there and get them! Why can't they??? Why do I need all the expensive drugs???? Aaaaarrrrgh! (DH just poked his head in the room and I about bit his head off, poor thing).

Guess I'll just have to WAIT AROUND some more and spend Monday on the phone. I know I'm being a baby and some of you have been through much much more but I'm ripped! I'm too ripped even to be scared!

Old 09-25-05, 12:23 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Jjello, well it might make you feel better to know that a friend of mine tried and tried to get pg, couldn't, found a huge cyst on her ovary, got it taken out, was knocked up the next month. Soo... maybe this is all meant to be because the same thing could happen to you! Dh might have some good swimmers in there, you never know. I also had a friend whose dh had a motility of 1-3 (basically non-existant) and got pg. Hang in there kid, you never know. I cried for five years before something happened for me. At 40 years old! Try not to give up. Leslie

Old 09-25-05, 01:36 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

jjello, I'm really sorry for your bad news

I really hoped that the cyst would clear up on it's own. If it helps at all, for a straight forward Ivf cycle at Boston it is about 12,000 (not as bad as 20,000). A good portion of that cost is meds. If you look on their website, they have a section on places to go to get help with the cost of the meds. I never really looked into it for myself, but it might help you guys. I don't know whether we are allowed to do this, but I have some leftover meds that you can have if it would help. We could look into it with Boston. I don't have alot, but anything helps. Anyway, hang in there and take care of yourself. Missy

Old 09-25-05, 02:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I have a bunch of stuff too. I'm sure that would have to be on the way down low though. Not sure. AND if it makes you feel any better I have about 18K in student loans and now 90K on a second mortgage for the baby! Crazy. Leslie

Old 09-25-05, 06:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I'm so sorry to hear about the cyst Jjello

I hope Monday finally brings some good news for you... And I really hope that your insurance will cover surgery for that cyst at least if you need it.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools