Baby Corner

Old 09-26-05, 01:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hang in there...I've heard so many stories of women who were sure it would never work b/c of A, B and C and then whala it worked....don't give up yet

As far as meds go, my insurance didn't pay either and I was lucky and blessed enough to find a great woman with left overs...she gave me a great deal-made it much more reasonable...

Old 09-26-05, 03:08 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Go check out the website for the place I went - Cooper Center for IVF

I went to Cooper because I figured I could do 4 IVFs for the cost of 1 cycle at Cornell which is in walking distance from me. Little did I know that it was going to take me 4 or 5 cycles. They are located in Marlton, NJ which is 15 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I went to Philly for my obligatory 2 to 3 days of bedrest.

The cost for retrieval, fertilization and transfer is $5500. If you could cycle there, they have a package deal for monitoring (b/w and u/s). I did out of town monitoring. My insurance picked up the tab for all b/w and reimbursed me 70% for my u/s. They did this because the lab used the diagnostic code for irregular menstrual cycles not infertility. I'm not sure if you would have to go there in person for the initial consult. I did because it was 1.5 to 2 hours away. Due to what they charge for IVF, they have alot of out of town patients who only come for retrieval and transfer. Alot of women fly in from the west coast. You may be able to do a phone consult instead of being there in person. There are other charges i.e. sedation, ICSI etc but the entire cost is hard to beat.

Also if you are a great responder to meds, you may want to consider donating half your eggs. I have a friend that did it. If you do this, the recipient that you are sharing your eggs with picks up most of the tab (retrieval, fertilization, transfer, sedation, meds). Something to think about.

I also probably have meds in my closet. With all of us on this board combined, we can probably cover you there.

Don't lose hope.

Old 09-26-05, 06:28 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Wow Glinda! That's a great idea about selling half your eggs to help with costs. Not that it pertains to me but a good idea to pass along. 5500???? Boy do I wish I would of known about your clinic

Plus I could of done some great shopping on the East coast. Ahh well. It sounds like you have some good ideas to work with jjello!! Leslie

Old 09-26-05, 06:52 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

It's not selling, it's donating

. You know that selling body parts, tissue etc. is illegal. In addition to full blown IVF with meds, my clinic does natural cycle IVF, donor egg and donor embryos. I know someone who just got a positive with a donor embryo cycle. At my clinic, for people who have completed their families, they have the option to have their embryos destroyed (not a great word) or donate them. They can't be sold but my clinic made up some cost so they could charge an administrative fee. Then they charge for the cost of a FET. With donor eggs, they have a list of patients who are willing to share their eggs to defray the cost of IVF and they also have paid donors who donate all their eggs. They are paid $5,000. They say it's compensation for "pain and suffering". After looking at donor ovum agency websites, it seems that some women have more suffering than others. It's amazing that a woman with an ivy league diploma can "charge" $20,000 for her pain

Old 09-27-05, 02:13 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I paid 3,000 for our donors suffering. What they didn't tell us up front was that we had to pay all her meds too which turned out to be about another 3,000. BOY do I wish I would of known about your clinic. Oh well, I'm knocked up now and we got to use dh's spermies so can't complain now. I have to go in tomorrow to have my "peaking" checked out. Will let you know if I get the dreaded bed rest tomorrow. I hope not but will do whatever they tell me. Wish me luck! Leslie
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools