Baby Corner

Old 12-07-04, 08:07 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Glinda, sorry to read of your ordeal. I think if you seperate the 2 'things' like you had just done an IVF and were rudely awakened by an alarm going off, anyone would have been stressed and afraid in a hotel room alone, let alone just having gone thru a transfer! I honestly don't believe walking up or down stairs would have any impact, but its something you need to work thru yourself. Thankfully you have some great buddies here who you can talk LIVE too who understand what you are going thru. They sound like a wonderful support team. Is your real name Faith?

Thanks for popping in and keeping an eye on our Sarah and your support, your'e a legend!

Snowboardmum sounds like you have a great attitudue going there, but if i had that many blasts as back up i would be a lot calmer too! What is POAS? Its funny when you say you transferred 2 blasts on 12/1 - for us that is Jan 12th! We do dates back the front to you, so today is 8/12 to us but i think its 12/8 to you. Gets confusing doesn't it!

Well i've got a whole week and day to go! My 2ww hasnt exactly been stressfree. Last night my DH dropped a bottle of olive oil in the kitchen and it smashed onto a glass and a shard inembedded in his finger. Lucky my parents were over so they looked after Analeise whilst i drove him to hospital as he needed stitches. Had to clean up blood everywhere and oil all over the floor. My parents are too old and frail to do this. Had a major presentation at work this morning that has been stressing me. So glad this is over now...

SO I'm 5dp4dt so now is the time i start feeling flat - it didnt work. I figured implantation would be anytime from yesterday to tomorrow. I guess its a protection thing starting to prepare myself for a negative. Have no embies to work with, no plans for another IVF, so no backup after this. No symptoms whatsoever, well i am telling myself i have a wee bit of back pain today but thats it. No sure if i will test over the w/e. I find it very hard to continue to go to work and function if i have seen a negative. If i dont test at least this way i can continue to hope - does this make sense??!!!!

How about you Glinda? Are you going to test? How are you feeling? Well if we test on the same day at least i will get my answer sooner than yours due to the time difference!

Thinking of you Babydoll.
Any other updates?
Lunchtime at work here now, so better go.
JB

Old 12-08-04, 06:51 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Yeah Maddy, I could have seen you being real coherent if I called. It would have been 4:30 am your time. You probably wouldn't have known who it was and thrown the phone at Caroline

. I'm glad that you finally came to a decision about your job. I KNOW you passed your real estate exam. This is great. You'll work when you want to and won't work when you don't want to. Whatever happened to that ogre at work? Was he given the boot? I've never gotten over how early your clinic does your betas. I would think that all the initial betas come back very low. Do the blasts implant much earlier than the 3 day embryos? I believe the 3 day embryos implant between 2 to 5 days after transfer. I have no idea how much hcg is in there at that point, nothing that could be picked up on a pee stick. Are you going to POAS? By the way, I'm sure the social worker wrote up a stellar report on you and Caroline

JB, yes, Jaime has a habit of typing my "real" name when she knows I don't like it

. I'd rather be a woman of mystery....Glinda, the good witch. I'm a Wizard of Oz fan. I just find it rather hypocritical to have the name Faith and be so negative when it comes to all this.

I also have no "symptoms". You mentioned back pain. I had lower back pain yesterday. Does that mean something? Of course, it's probably my swollen rear from the oil injections. The negative feelings are our way of self-preservation.

POAS = pee on a stick. I don't do it until the day of beta. I mean why upset myself earlier. I do it on the day of beta because I don't want to sit around all day waiting for a nurse to call just to dash my hopes. I'd rather know earlier and not be shocked when I get that call. I used to test starting at 8 days post IUI. Now I can contain myself. I also don't temp. I would know the moment that my temp dropped that the cycle didn't work. Instead of pulling myself up when I got AF and get ready to do another IUI cycle, I would be miserable for an extra week because I temped early.

Old 12-08-04, 08:39 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I copied this from the website of Advanced Fertility Center in Chicago.

Implantation in humans
The concept of a "window" of implantation:

After sufficient estrogenic exposure, initiation of progesterone initiates a "clock" that results in the uterine lining passing through a receptive "window" of time when implantation can occur. Before, or after the window - implantation will not occur.

Rosenwaks et al, in 1987 published an excellent article that looked at donor embryo transfers done in natural cycles. They got good results when transferring 4-6 cell embryos on day 17-19 endometrium (day of LH surge was called day14).

Formigli et al, in 1987 reported uterine lavage of embryos from uteri of donors at 5 days post-ovulation. The embryos were then transferred to recipient women. They had pregnancies when the recipient's cycle was from 4 days in front of to 3 days behind the donor's at ovulation. This suggests a window of implantation of up to 7 days.

Navot et al, in 1991 reported on donor embryo transfers done with 2-3 day old embryos on recipient "cycle days" 15-20 (artificial cycles). Pregnancies resulted from transfers on all days. This suggests (at least) a 6 day transfer window.

The "window of transfer" is a little different from the window of implantation. A 2-3 day old embryo takes 3-4 days to become a blastocyst. Blastocysts can hatch and implant. Therefore, from all of the above information, the inferred window of implantation may extend from days 18-19 to 23-24 of the "idealized cycle".

When does implantation actually occur in IVF or normal cycles? (We're not focusing on the "window" anymore, but on when real implantation does occur)

A very good study of implantation was published in 1992 by Bergh & Navot.

They studied 33 pregnancies from ovum donation or frozen-thawed cycles with serial HCG levels on the mothers to find the time of "first embryonic signal". The HCG assay used can detect very low levels.

Average first detection was at an embryonic age of 7.1 +/- 0.28 days (range 6.6-7.4 days).

This correlates with the studies of Hertig and Rock in the 1950's (hysterectomy studies) that showed the day of implantation to be day 6.

They did not find any evidence to support the concept of an embryonic diapause in humans.

Old 12-08-04, 01:54 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Glinda, 4:30am or not...we love you and will answer our phone for you anytime. Don't ever hesitate if you need us. However, I'm not a phone person and Caroline usually does answer 98% of the calls. The only time I usually pick it up is during business hours (when I'm here alone) or if she's in the bathroom! LOL!! Other than that, I usually say, "you gonna get that?", but she's usually already on her way to pick it up. We can't screen cause we have voice mail, not an answering machine....so your chance of getting a live person is pretty good.

Well, I hope you are right about my exam. It was super hard and I was very disappointed that some of the material I had to guess at. I'm kind of a perfectionist in that way. I wanted to KNOW every answer. I studied my behind off for this test and some of the questions looked like there were in a foreign language!! I should get my results as soon as tomorrow (great...on freakin' BETA day!) or as late as early next week. Imagine if I get a BFP and pass this exam!!! What a Christmas this will be. Oh, about my ogre boss...yep, he got canned. They chose the other branch manager over him. HA!! I tell ya...it's karma. He got his!! However, I have let it go and looking back that man means nothing to me and my life. If it had not been for the adoption process we are in, I would have probably checked myself in to the psychiatric ward. He seriously had my psyche that damaged. You know the story...I need this job for the IVF benefits. Had it not been for that, I would have quit last summer. I managed to hang in there and now I am getting a 6 month severence package with 6 paid months of COBRA + another 2 IVF cycles if I need them!! Things worked out perfectly (and I still am secretly laughing that he got the boot!! HA!). Yeah, my clinic tests way too early, I think. However, they only expect to see a 10 on beta#1 and 20 on beta#2. Most women that I know that go to my clinic usually have an average of about a 20 and 60 or 80 on those days. One of my friends actually just got something insane like an 80 and 200!! They think it's twins, but I know another person that had in the 300's on 8dp5dt and it was a singleton. Guess it just really depends. The only good thing about betas that early is that if it's a BFN, then you don't have to keep doing PIO injections and AF comes sooner than later. I just want to move on to my next cycle. No, I refuse to POAS this time. I am just going to let my beta do the talking. I feel absolutely nothing this cycle and of course think this cycle is a bust. But I just have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to find out. Not sure if I want them to call me or Caroline with the results. I hope our SW gets on the ball and gets our homestudy done by the holidays, but I just can not count on that. I think it will be more like mid-Jan, so anytime after that we could have a baby. She said it could take 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months. I am thinking more like 6 to 8 months and can only hope for that little bundle of joy to arrive by summer of 2005.

Now, what exactly is that study trying to say? LOL! They kinda lost me halfway through it. Too many #'s to absorb this early.

JB, your poor DH! OMG!! I hope he heals well. Poor fella. I really hope this IVF cycle is the one that works for you. So, you aren't planning on another if this one doesn't work? Did I see in your signature correctly that you have done 7 IVF cycles???? I am drawing the line at 5 fresh cycles, but will do as many FET's as we have embies for. DP has also volunteered her uterus for the job.

Monique, how are you holding up? I'm thinking about you also..........

Old 12-08-04, 10:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Today, I went for my 5dpt check. My clinic has us go for b/w and u/s to make sure our levels are appropriate. If not, they give us supplements/more supplements. The first thing the tech says is "your lining isn't thick". Was that comment supposed to keep me in a positive frame of mind? I thought she was going to say the lining was 5mm. My lining is 8mm HH. HH stands for a very long word but what it really means is that my lining has converted. This is what they want to see. It means my lining is properly absorbing the progesterone. The tech said the pattern is more important than the thickness. She redeemed herself with that comment. Later on in the day, my clinic called with my b/w results. E2 was 1713 and P4 was 87.4. The numbers are good. Unfortunately they do not guarantee a successful cycle.

I went to Walmart after work to pick up a large bag of dog food. While there I couldn't resist buying a box of FREDs, 2 stick pack with a bonus stick.

Now I wait.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools