Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments Dilemma (child & previous PG mentioned)

Dilemma (child & previous PG mentioned)

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-12-05, 10:46 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Dilemma (child & previous PG mentioned)

Hi everyone! My name is Robin, and I was a member of this board about 3-1/2 years ago under the name "pookie"; however, it didn't recognize my screen name anymore, so I am now mymeow. Anyways, for a brief history, my DH has had testicular cancer x3 and as a result we had to use DI. We were very lucky to get PG right away in October 2001 and our beautiful little boy, Connor, was born on July 6, 2002. We are looking at TTC again soon, but the only thing holding me back is my weight. I was overweight when I got pregnant before and really had a pretty easy pregnancy, but the minor problems I did have was weight related. I am now about 25 lbs heavier than I was when I TTC before. To give you an idea, I am probably about 100 lbs overweight. I know this could affect me trying to get pregnant. The question is, should I go ahead and start TTC now or do you think I should try and lose some weight before TTC? Do any of you have weight issues while TTC or have you in the past? Just trying to gain some insight. Thanks for listening!

Old 05-13-05, 08:16 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Hello (pg mentioned)

Welcome back Robin. There are alot of us here who are overweight (myself included). We also have success stories here. Success with pgs and being overweight and weight loss successes.

I have gained a huge amount of weight while TTC. This is due to emotional eating after m/cs and because of the fertility meds. I didn't choose to take a diet break. I continued and am currently 25 weeks pg with twins. I work with a woman who lost 30 lbs and instantly got pg. I have heard that just by losing 10% of your body weight can be very helpful in TTC. Ruth, a fellow member of this board, had gastric bypass surgery last year. Now that she has lost weight she is starting to TTC again. With the weight loss, Ruth noticed that her menstrual cycles improved.

Overweight women get pg everyday. It is probably healthier to lose weight first. However, I don't think you should hold yourself back because of it. If your hormone levels are fine, you may not have a problem conceiving. Only you know your body best and you did mention that you had weight related problems during your pg. I don't know how mild or severe your problems were. You may want to avoid this again.

Good Luck.

Old 05-13-05, 09:17 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Hi-
Of course it's best to be at your ideal weight. BUT the reality is a lot of people get pg overweight. I used to be really slender and then 18 horrible months of ttc I gained like 45 pounds. I got pg w/ my son and lost all the weight from the pg pretty easily. Then we ttc again when my DS was 9 mo old and we got pg on the first try (I was still overweight from ttc). Anyway that pregnancy we tragically lost at 5 months. With that loss I had to focus on my health so I lost close to 50 pounds. THen we started ttc. Well low and behold it took us 7 tries when I was at my healthiest weight of the 3 ttcs. Anyway up to you. Every body is different. You shouldn't diet when you ttc. I think that was part of my problem this time around. I was still weight/diet obsessed a bit and once I put that aside I gained 10 pounds but got pg again.

Who knows...good luck to you either way. If you want to take amonth or two to get back on a healthy eating/exercie plan that might be good. But I wish you quick success.

Edited to add...weight also depends on your height. 100 pounds overweight on a 5' tall woman is different than 100 pounds on a 5'11" woman. The BMI is really more important. They don't do a lot of treatments on women with BMIs over 34.

Last edited by Jules8; 05-13-05 at 09:21 AM.

Old 05-13-05, 03:59 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Welcome back...hoping success finds you quickly this time round again!

I was successful at acheiving pg while WAAAAYY overweight also (topping over 270lbs and a BMI of well over 40). I also heard from my Dr's constantly that I should try and lose weight and I am sure it made my TTC harder but not impossible! Do what is right for you!

Old 05-15-05, 12:21 PM
In Mommy Heaven

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I had a BMI over 40 when I concieved ny son, and still do.

However, all of my hormone levels have come back clean - I was tested for thyroid function and testosterone levels to check for PCOS as well, and no issues.

I had no issues with my first pregnancy - no pre-eclampsia, no diabetes. So just being overweight is not necessarily a deaths entence, although some doctors will make you think so. I think it depends ony our personal situation - your age and general physical health. If you are young enough and want to, take some time off and lose weight. But if you are otherwise healthy, then go for it.

Good luck and good to hear from you!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools