Baby Corner

Old 11-11-04, 12:29 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default DIUI with OPK's

Hi ladies, I am going to do the next two cycles of DIUI's without the monitoring and medication (mainly because I need a break from the stress). So I am just going to use the OPK's (they appear to be working for me most months) and do a single DIUI each month. I have a couple of questions:

1. Most people do their DIUI's 24 or 36 hours post positive OPK. But how do you know when that exact time is? I always test at 11:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. If I get a positive OPK at 3:00 p.m. (and then call the doc to book my DIUI), but then I test at 7:00 p.m. and the line is just as dark, when is the best time to get the IUI? This timing thing drives me crazy each month. I can never seem to get it right!

2. Do you think I should do only single IUI's when I am not being monitored or medicated, and save the double inseminations for those months that the doc will see my follicles?

3. Which is better -- 24 or 36 hours post positive OPK?

Thanks again ladies!

Old 11-11-04, 12:44 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I think it would be a better to do doubles on the months that aren't monitored. It's harder to pinpoint O with OPK's than u/s. I'm not really sure about the timing- maybe 18 and 36 after the positive reading?

Old 11-11-04, 01:13 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

If you are going to be just using OPK's without a trigger then I would go 36 hours since it is harder to pinpoint timing.

Old 11-11-04, 01:33 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you and the timing is driving me nuts! I've been doing insems more or less 24 hrs. post +OPK, but it's really a crapshoot depending on when I test and when my doctor has an opening to do the procedure. It's very frustrating! I'm impressed that you test three times a day - that only just occurred to me last month! And how are you able to not go to the bathroom four hours at a time? :-)

As for the OPK, the only info I have to add is that as far as I understand it, once you test positive you can stop testing, because the line will simply remain dark while the hormone is still in your system, even if you've already ovulated. So you're not really gettting any new information.

Good luck!
jjello

Old 11-11-04, 06:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Thanks ladies!

Jjello, what protocol are you using? Are you doing medicated, monitored cycles, or simply the OPK's?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools