Baby Corner

Old 08-29-05, 09:20 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Leslie, I don't know if the epidural hurts. I assume the entrance of the needle is the same as a spinal. They first numb the area with a shot of lidocaine. They said it would burn going in, which it did. I bit my lip. I had someone tell me that was the worst part for her. Maybe they just had problems inserting the spinal. It took 15 to 20 minutes. They have to make sure they get to the right spot to numb you. If women having a vaginal birth use an epidural then I'm assuming they are not paralyzed from the chest down. There is pushing involved with a vaginal delivery so you couldn't be totally numb. Maybe I'm wrong.

jjello, I understand wanting the experience of childbirth. On my way to the OR, my water broke. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to feel dripping down my leg. I felt it was the one "normal" thing that happened. It also assured me that with all the switching around of the dates of my c-section, that August 8th was meant to be D-Day.

Fear of anesthesia could be partly a control thing. You have to put total faith/control/trust in another human being to insert the needle in the exact spot. Just so you know, you're not out of it. You are totally coherent and aware of what is going on. You feel the drs working on you. You know they are cutting you open and sticking all this equipment in you to stretch you. You feel the sensations just not the pain that goes along with it. They also put up a curtain/drape below your chest so you can't see what is going on. If there was no drape there, I would have lifted my head to watch

With IVF retrievals, I think they use general anesthesia because they don't want you moving about. I can tell you with the light IV sedation you do feel the sensation of the puncturing. During one retrieval, the nurse didn't put enough versed in the drip. I felt the pain of the puncturing of my ovaries. My leg went flying and I almost kicked the dr's face. Oops. This only happened once and I have had several retrievals. I still preferred being awake then being out of it. I also don't like to wake up with that druggy feeling. Because of using limited sedation, I have always spent minimal time in recovery. I think many IVF clinics give you an option so ask your clinic if they do this.

Babies are doing well. They are 3 weeks old. Spencer is an eating machine. He has grown so much. Arianna doesn't eat as much. She is dainty and petite. I have to fatten her up a bit.

Old 08-29-05, 12:11 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I was always told that naturally we forget childbirth pain or else all women would have only one child!!! I'm am now very disappointed! I've always thought I'd go natural-I'm afraid of the big needles too!

Old 08-29-05, 06:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

My sister and my best friend at the same time delivering their babies. My sister had a c-section and my friend vaginal. My sister was up socializing the next morning with no pain, and walked normally. My friend walked as if they had shoved a rod up her butt, and was in the bathroom many times a day squirting herself in the bathroom with warm water....not to mention she didn't sit right for a week. My vote is for the c-section

With my luck though, I'll have to push 2 babies out, or better yet, I'll push 1 out and then they will tell me I have to have a section for the 2nd one.

Old 08-29-05, 06:41 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Hah! Missy you crack me up!!! LOL

Old 08-29-05, 09:51 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Glad I can bring some humor onto the website

Secretly I am terrified about either way

Call me crazt but the thought of ripping from stem to stern or be cut open and pulled apart...is their a third less painful option? Good thing I already love these babies

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools