Baby Corner

Old 07-27-05, 11:39 PM
Annie & Charlotte's Mommy

Thanked 12 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Follow IVF consult

Well, I got A LOT of information today so I'm not sure if I will remember everything but this is the basic idea.

My RE seems to think the biggest problem that we had with my 1st IVF cycle is that we got a slow start. I didn't start to respond to the stims until almost the 4th or 5th day. He feels because of this slow start that my eggs were trying to play catch up to get to the mature stage. He said that he normally would've cancelled my cycle but because I started to respond so well afterward and my estrogen level increased so much he felt that we had a chance. He did mention that if that happened again he would cancel my cycle immediately. He said all 19 of my eggs were mature which is not really a good thing. He said that the eggs should've been at all different ranges with some of them over mature and some of them immature with the best ones in the middle. Next out of my 19 eggs only 13 were good enough to try to fertilize, the others were just not good quality at all. We had 100% fertilization rate which he said is excellent and not very common but because the quality of the eggs were poor only 9 fertilized normally and then 5 of the 9 failed to make it past the pn stage which is the first stage of fertilization. The olther 4 went on to divide but the quality of all 4 embryos were poor. The cells were not of equal size and only 2 of the 4 made it to 6 and 8 cells. That's why he recommended that we transfer all 4.

So the plan is to raise my LH hormone injection to a higher dose and start that right away in hopes that I will start to respond immediately to the stims. He really feels that this will give me the best chance of improving the quality of my eggs.

I made sure to ask him if he feels that I will be able to have another baby using my eggs and he said DEFINITELY. Which made me so happy.

My RE said that he has never had to have someone do more than 4 cycles of IVF to get pg with the average being 1.4 times. I thought these were great odds. He also mentioned that this practice has the highest pregnancy rate in the country. So I feel I am in very good hands. Dr. Scott spent more than 40 minutes with us explaining all this info. He was very encouraging so I'm very relieved.

Old 07-28-05, 01:54 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hi Ellen. Thank you for all the info. you posted. It helps- really- to know that we're really all going thru the same thing and hearing much of the same kind of "talk". I'm starting my first cycle in about 2 weeks. Next Tuesday I'm going in to "learn" how to do the injections, Wednesday I've got to have my progesterone test, followed up with possibly starting the Lupron the following day or after. It all sounds overwhelming and complicated. I seem to have endless questions for my doctor's poor nurse! I guess I'm just the kind of person who wants to understand why they have to do what the do, when they do it, etc. Thanks again. Good luck with your next cycle. I really do hope it has a much happier result for you. (By the way, your picture of your daughter is just precious! She's beautiful!) ---Meladi H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenZ
Well, I got A LOT of information today so I'm not sure if I will remember everything but this is the basic idea.

My RE seems to think the biggest problem that we had with my 1st IVF cycle is that we got a slow start. I didn't start to respond to the stims until almost the 4th or 5th day. He feels because of this slow start that my eggs were trying to play catch up to get to the mature stage. He said that he normally would've cancelled my cycle but because I started to respond so well afterward and my estrogen level increased so much he felt that we had a chance. He did mention that if that happened again he would cancel my cycle immediately. He said all 19 of my eggs were mature which is not really a good thing. He said that the eggs should've been at all different ranges with some of them over mature and some of them immature with the best ones in the middle. Next out of my 19 eggs only 13 were good enough to try to fertilize, the others were just not good quality at all. We had 100% fertilization rate which he said is excellent and not very common but because the quality of the eggs were poor only 9 fertilized normally and then 5 of the 9 failed to make it past the pn stage which is the first stage of fertilization. The olther 4 went on to divide but the quality of all 4 embryos were poor. The cells were not of equal size and only 2 of the 4 made it to 6 and 8 cells. That's why he recommended that we transfer all 4.

So the plan is to raise my LH hormone injection to a higher dose and start that right away in hopes that I will start to respond immediately to the stims. He really feels that this will give me the best chance of improving the quality of my eggs.

I made sure to ask him if he feels that I will be able to have another baby using my eggs and he said DEFINITELY. Which made me so happy.

My RE said that he has never had to have someone do more than 4 cycles of IVF to get pg with the average being 1.4 times. I thought these were great odds. He also mentioned that this practice has the highest pregnancy rate in the country. So I feel I am in very good hands. Dr. Scott spent more than 40 minutes with us explaining all this info. He was very encouraging so I'm very relieved.

Old 07-28-05, 09:05 AM
Annie & Charlotte's Mommy

Thanked 12 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Best of luck to you Meladi. IVF can be an overwhelming experience but if you end up pg at the end it will all be worth it.

Old 07-28-05, 10:17 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Ahhh, Ellen, I am glad you are feeling a little better. It's nice your doctor gave you a thorough review of your cycle, now he has a game plan, and it's great he let you know that should reduce some of your strees when you decide to cycle. Have you guys set up any dates for your next procedure? Will you do anything differently to prepare your body and mind for your next cycle? Hope things contiue to look up for you.

Wishing you the best.

Old 07-29-05, 12:24 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Ellen,

I just wanted to pass along a piece of advice that Leslie passed on to me when I was trying my 2nd cycle. She told me to try acupuncture because it had worked wonders for her. I don't know if it had anything to do with my getting pregnant the 2nd cycle, but I do know that I did not do acupuncture the 1st cycle and did not get pregnant. If nothing else, it felt great going. It really helped me relax. Good luck and I'm glad that you got alot of good information from your doctor. Take care Missy
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools