Baby Corner

Old 10-29-04, 02:15 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.33%
Default Good news to start my weekend!!

I feel like I have been constantly kicked in the stomach lately with bad news, so I just had to share my good news with somebody!!!!!

DP and I just refi'd our HELOC and got about $75K in equity out of the line. I'm so stoked about that because our plan was to do the 2 for 1 IVF with my clinic if this next IVF cycle (#3) doesn't work (we would have to pay $12K out of pocket for it, hence the refi). But wait...that's not the good news!!!! So far I have been counting my lucky stars that 3 IVF cycles have been paid for (well, we paid about $4K for IVF#1 and around $1600 each for cycles #2 and #3 - or thereabouts - DP keeps track of all this stuff because it's too stressful to me....much better than the $9000 my clinic charges per fresh IVF cycle!). So, ok, we have done 2 fresh cycles and 1 FET and are embarking on IVF#3 right now. I figure since I have a $25K out of pocket maximum with my current ins. co. if this one doesn't work we would just spend the $12K for the 2 for 1. That will have given us 5 fresh tries and a ton of FET's. If I don't have a biological child by then.....then I give up.

Ok.......so HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! My company is switching from UHC to BC/BS for 2005. I was bummed at first because UHC has been incredibly wonderful! I just found out with this new policy that I get 2 IUI's and 2 IVF cycles covered!!! Since it's probably going to be out of network it will only be covered at 70%, but again that is still better than $9000/cycle!!!!!!! I probably won't use the IUI's, but it's kinda cool to know that I could get 2 IUI's in too! So, I will have maxed out my UHC policy at $25K and will now get those 2 additional tries that we thought we would have to pay for thanks to the ins. co. change!!

I am so happy that we get to keep our HELOC pretty free and can put other stuff we need on there instead of IVF. Oh, man....I have been unlucky so far with TTC, but I have been incredibly blessed to have this coverage so we could try this many times!!!!! Plus, all my injectibles have only been $150 per med per cycle. Even my clinic is shocked at my great coverage. Truly, I am so lucky and have to keep telling myself that. Great coverage, wonderful DP, beautiful home, and 2 great pooches.

What a great way to start a weekend!

Happy Halloween everybody (I have waited for years to use this spider!)

Old 10-29-04, 02:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

That's great news Maddy!! I think it's wonderful that your company's insurance covers infertility.

Old 10-29-04, 03:06 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

That is excellent news! Hoping you do not need any more tries than that!!!

Old 10-29-04, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.33%

Outstanding!!!!

Old 10-29-04, 04:15 PM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 188%

That is great news!

One question tho - is California a mandated infertility coverage state? My BCBS policy covers only diagnostics.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools