Baby Corner

Old 01-25-05, 02:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Hello - First IVF/ICSI

Hello all,
Have started this post a few times and either been interupted or scrapped it.. so here goes again. Brief run-down of cycle so far: We started our first IVF+ICSI cycle on 30th Dec (Am in Uk so forgive my use of long dates to avoid confusion

) Dh has a low count, with none able to move - hence the icsi. We're in the sticks, so go to a satellite clinic for everything except EC/ET, for which we head over to St Jimmys' in Leeds.

I was on 300iu of Buserelin Sub-cut. Dh has overcome his fear of needles to stab me nightly. Was doing ok, mild headache from the get-go, but ignorable, a couple of hot-flushes but otherwise ok. Af arrived on 19th Jan, went 4 days later, scan showed my lining was down from 6mm pre AF to 1.6mm. Our bloods came back all clear, so we got the go-ahead to start me on stims.

Am now on 225iu of Gonal-F Sub-cut + 100 iu of buserelin Sub-cut. Cue worse headache, dry mouth, more over-heating and am sooooo tired I could sleep all day and night too (If only dh would stop snoring

). Today I've had a dull ache on the right all day, with occasional twinging on the left. Hoping that means that the drugs are working away in there.. Believe that all I'm feeling is normal for the circumstances so far. My next scan is this Friday to see how things are growing in there. Have been told it's most likely that EC will be 2/3rd Feb. And it's all getting very real and very scarey now. I'm terrified we'll not have any fertilise, although the hospital we'll be treated at has as good a success rate with Icsi as with Ivf (33% last year).

Couple of questions - if I may..

Am a bit worried that my lining was a little on the thin side (the 6mm was from a day 18 scan)
Other than Ice-cubes on my skin & removing the Gonal-F from the fridge 30mins prior, is there anything else I can do to reduce the bruising I'm now getting? Every jab is now resulting in a new bruise

Is there any reason not to do the two jabs next to each other - or is it best to do them on opposite sides to each other?
A couple of times when we've withdrawn the needle a drop of the injection has come back out - is this normal? (We're using an autoinjector)
They've told me that they aim for about 10 follies, what size should they be when I'm given the green light to go for EC?
(I know these are probably Really, really, really daft questions, but they've been whizzing through my brain whilst dh is lying there snoring sorry!

)

!!

Celia

Last edited by Celia_M; 01-25-05 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-25-05, 03:26 PM
Community Member

Thanked 12 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hi Cilia,
I don't have any answers for you, sorry. I am doing my first IVF/ICSI right now as well, so really have no experience to share.
Just wanted to wish you luck and success with this cycle.

Old 01-25-05, 04:18 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Thankyou Alla, and wishing you lots of luck and success with your cycle also

Old 01-25-05, 04:22 PM
is one busy mamma
Proud Adoptive Mom!

Thanked 3 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Hi Celia.

I just wanted to wish you and Edward the very best of luck!

Old 01-25-05, 04:58 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Celia,

I'll try and answer your questions:

1. Lining thickness - clinics like to have your lining at least 8 mm at the time of transfer. I recommend taking 1 baby aspirin a day. It helped my lining thickness. Also, eat red meat.

2. I didn't experience bruising from the Gonal F. I did IM shots, not sub-q. There is a product on the market that numbs the skin. You may have something like it - Emla Cream. Maybe I didn't bruise because my skin was thoroughly numb by the time I did the injection.

3. I wouldn't do the shots next to each other. I mean why torture the same area. As long as the injections are at least 1" away from your belly button, you're fine. Actually, I'm assuming that you're injecting into your abdomen. Maybe you want to switch the body part. You may find that giving the shot in your upper arm (never done that though) or your thigh (did my shots there) doesn't cause bruising.

4. There is sometimes leakage when you remove the needle. Don't worry about it.

5. My clinic has their patients trigger when the lead follie is around 20 - 21 mm. I'm sure each clinic has it's own protocol.

6. Drink alot of water. This will help you with your dry mouth. It also helps avoid hyperstimulation.

7. For your headaches, only take Tylenol.

8. Your dull aches and twinges tell me that follicles are popping up in your ovaries

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools