Baby Corner

Old 01-11-09, 10:29 AM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I've had 3 scans and all show just one, beautiful, healthy, long awaited, miracle baby. Despite responding well to the drugs I only got 3 eggs that were mature enough. Out of those 3, 2 fertilised and both made it to embryos. So we did a 2 day transfer with those 2, as our embryologist said there was no benefit in taking them past the 4 cell stage, and the best place for them would be back where they belonged.

I'm from the UK and we have strict rules about IVF and how many embryo's can be transferred in an IVF cycle. If you are under 40 a maximum of 2 embryos can be transferred. If you are over 40 there is a maximum of 3 embryos. There are exceptions, but they have to be very well documented.

Personally with your age I would not want to transfer more than 3. I agree with your DH, and would not want to transfer 4. The risks for you to carry a multiple pregnancy, and the risk of miscarriage with selective termination would not be one I'd want to face.

Perhaps speak to your embryologist. If you have good quality embryos then just put 3 back. If they are poorer quality then discuss putting 4 back.

In terms of the low sperm count, if they're healthy sperm with good motility and morphology, then how few sperm there is, is less important.

We had ICSI because we have poor motility, morphology and a high level of DNA fragmentation in our sperm, so we are really grateful that the embryologist picked out some good, healthy ones. Neil did help things along though by cutting down on alcohol for 9 months before our treatment and cutting it out altogether 3 months before. Neil also took male-health vitamin/mineral supplements for about 3 months before we started treatment.

Prior to and during the treatment I also took certain vitamin/mineral supplements and also made sure I had very good quality protein every day. If you want to know any more about any of these then let me know.

Old 01-11-09, 10:41 AM

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

PS - This is the link for the post that Amanda (Pearlgirlulm) mentioned.

I cannot stress enough, that as soon as you start with your medication, how important it is to drink lots of water, milk or real fruit-juice. From now on no caffeine or alcohol!!! Your body is a temple!!

Old 01-11-09, 10:44 AM

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

Oh! And by the way the success rates vary from clinic-to-clinic. As your clinic for a copy of their success rates. Here in the UK success rates (along with clinic inspection reports) have to be published and submitted to the HFEA (Human Fertilisation and Embryology Association), and can be viewed by anyone.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools