Baby Corner

Old 08-03-05, 09:40 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Hi Everyone - Another Newby

I'd just like to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. I'm 38, live in Maine and have never been pregnant. I've had some basic fertility tests and seem to be OK. My DH had a vas reversal about 4 years ago which technically worked (couple of swimmers in there), but not well enough to do the trick. We've done a bunch of unmedicated IUIs. Some of you may also recognize me from the DI boards. We did try DI twice but with no success, and my DH never really felt 100% comfortable with it, so maybe it's just as well.

Anyway, I never thought we'd go as far as IVF & ICSI but, well, here we are! I may be participating soon in a drug trial at Boston IVF - IF I get in, and IF I get up the nerve to actually do this! I'm so terrified! Not so much of the needles, but of taking the fertility meds themselves. Like many of you here, I'm into eating well, exercising, and generally taking care of my body as well as I can, aside from those glasses of wine with dinner and friends. The thought loading myself up with hormones just makes my skin crawl and I feel claustrophobic just thinking about it (wierd, huh?). When I read your posts I really admire the courage it takes for you brave women to do this and feel like a total wussy.

I would love any advice or tips anyone would care to share, and in particular would like to get a handle on what I can realistically expect for side effects. The doctor I spoke with said I'd feel really bloated and probably tired. I know everyone's different but is that really all??? Am I really going to be able to get through this????? I can't even begin to wrap my brain around the retrieval process....it's more than I can think about at this point and so I just go blank!

Anyway thanks for listening, and congratulations to all the recent BFPs! I look forward to getting to know you....
jjello

Old 08-04-05, 01:22 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

jjello, take it from the 11w3day pg girl that if I (biggest wuss that ever lived, faints easily at the least little bit of blood) can do it. YOU CAN! I'm even giving my own shots now because it's just faster than having dh do it. The hormones aren't that bad. I actually thought they were less invasive than regular old birth control. My friends said I was a B but I told them they had to not care for 15 weeks. (Next week the 15 weeks is up so we'll see what happens). Seriously, it's not that bad at all. The worse part is the beginning when you get so much info that it makes your head spin and you wonder how in the heck you're going to keep it all straight and not totally mess up. You'll be fine. Yes, we're strong women but...... It's not like I'm wonderwoman or anything. I can just run far!! Leslie in Alaska

Old 08-04-05, 01:38 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%
Wink

Hello jjello and welcome,
I am sorry you have to suffer through infertility but happy to get the chance to know you. I am Active Duty military (hopefully this helps to explain my FET in Japan in 2weeks. We had a very successful cycle initially, and yes, I was extremly bloated and tired. I had issues w/ taking all the meds considering I try to be overly healthy (no sodas for going on 13 yrs, no alcohol since forever and trying to eat right and exercise) so we have a lot in common. Hated the shots, but got use to it, and happy to say I have my (18mth today) daughter to show for it. Don't worry, we are a lot stronger than we think. I wish you the best in what ever you decide, can't wait to get to know you better.
Trisha

Old 08-04-05, 04:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Jjello, Welcome! You said it...most of us are health conscious and body conscious, yet have no other chioce if we want to get pregnant, but to use lots of hormones. My accupunturist thinks we could take natural progesterone by cream or pill, rather than the synthetic shots...but he doesn't get to decide and (at least at my clinic) it isn't a choice. So, I will continue to see him after this process to try to correct anything that I may have overly stresed! Also, he says he will be able to help alleviate the bloat and emotional stress with his treatments, herbs and diet recommendations. I'll let you know! I am beginning my first injections next week.

Good luck to you-try not to stress!

Old 08-04-05, 06:17 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

OMG jjello!

I do remember you from when I first came to the DI board last Oct. You disappeared and I've wondered what ever happened to you. So glad you've turned up. We did 5 failed diui's and I just had my 1st divf cycle in May with no success and I'm getting ready to do my next one in September.

I too, am a BIG baby. But after all the shots and hormones and it didn't work, I would've jumped right back into it again if they would've let me. So, it was not that bad. Yes, alot of emotional mood swings and bloated but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It felt worse mentally/emotionally after the neg. beta than any of the physical ever did.

You can totally do it. Congratulations to you and dh on making this decision - I'm pulling for you!!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools