Baby Corner

Old 07-05-05, 08:49 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default I am new here

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site and was seeking some information. To give a brief history, my husband and I have been TTC since 2000. I have been pregnant 4 times, the first was a miscarriage and the last three have been ectopic. I am currently under treatment of methotrexate since we just learned two months ago that I was pregnant again. My DH and I decided that IVF was the only way, considering the risks I have already gone under to try and have children naturally. I am not sure what to expect (we have our first appointment Aug 5th). Our insurance does not cover the procedure, but will cover all the medication...go figure. Anyway, any information would be welcome... Once again, thanks so much!

Chrisanna

#1 09/27/2001 MIscarriage
#2 10/28/2002 Ectopic Ruptured Left Tube
#3 02/20/2004 Ectopic Right Tube (Saved)
#4 05/21/2005 Ectopic Right Tube (Methotrexate)

Old 07-05-05, 11:56 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards. I am Trisha 31, DH 46, doing IVF due to tubal also. I will be doing a FET in Aug so we can hopefully be cycle buddies. Wishing you the best in your upcoming cycle. Hope the info below helps, your doctor and diagnosis could cause some changes to your protocol, this is just a general overview.

Treatment: What to expect
Near the beginning of your menstrual cycle, you'll take a fertility drug to stimulate your ovaries to develop several mature eggs for fertilization. (You normally release only one egg a month.) You may also have to take a synthetic hormone called Lupron to keep your body from releasing your eggs too early.

You'll have to visit your doctor's office or clinic often so she can monitor your blood hormone levels to detect when your eggs are mature. Once they're mature, your doctor will give you an anesthetic and remove your eggs from your ovaries by inserting a needle through your vaginal wall. (She may perform an ultrasound to locate your eggs.) Your doctor will then combine your eggs with your partner's sperm in a dish in a laboratory.

Two to five days later, each of your fertilized eggs will be a ball of cells called an embryo, and your doctor will place two to four of them in your uterus by inserting a thin catheter through your cervix. (Extra embryos, if there are any, may be frozen in case this cycle doesn't succeed.) If the treatment works, an embryo will implant in your uterine wall and continue to grow into a baby. (In 20 to 40 percent of IVF pregnancies, more than one embryo implants and women give birth to multiples.)

You'll be able to take a pregnancy test about two weeks after your embryos are placed in your uterus.

Length of treatment
It takes about four to six weeks to complete one cycle of IVF. You'll have to wait a few weeks for your eggs to mature. Then you and your partner will spend about half a day at your doctor's office or clinic having your eggs retrieved and fertilized. You'll have to go back again two to five days later to have them inserted into your uterus but you'll be able to go home that same day.

Success rate
The outcomes of IVF vary drastically depending on couples' fertility problems and ages younger women usually have healthier eggs and higher success rates. On average, you have a 35 percent chance of getting pregnant and a 29 percent possibility of delivering a baby with each cycle of treatment.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools