Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments I'm back...change of plans - advice needed.

I'm back...change of plans - advice needed.

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-28-04, 07:13 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.91%
Question I'm back...change of plans - advice needed.

Hi Ladies!

It's been quite awhile. We built a house, and were living with my parents for 3 months until ours was ready. We're starting to feel more settled now.

As for the TTC rollercoaster, our direction there has changed as well. 2 1/2 years ago we tried one IUI. BFN, and things didn't feel right, so we took a break. Then we used a known donor for a year, home ICIs. All BFNs, so we took a break from that. We are now back to doing IUIs at the clinic, but with a different unknown donor. It seems easier emotionally this time, although our first one was a BFN.

I have a decision to make, and not sure what to do. My doctor here has referred me to another doctor because he is not sure whether to send me for a laparoscopy or not. But my RE where we do our IUIs wants me to try 6 months first, even though we already did a year of home ICIs. I don't want unneccesary surgery. But I also don't want to waste another 6 months. I ovulate and have a regular cycle, and I don't take meds, but I have no idea about my lining and all that. Any suggestions? How much baby aspirin do you take? How do you know if you need it? I've never had ultrasounds to check for anything like that.
Thanks for all the help. It's good to be back and feel all the support here.
Cathy

Old 09-28-04, 07:35 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Hi!
Have you ever had an HSG? That is where they check to see if your tubes are open. I just had one last week (had one 3 years ago too). It's a simple procedure and at least you'll know your pipes are clear!!

After my 4th failed IUI my doc suggested I go on baby asprin. One 81mg pill/day.I will start that when I start in a couple weeks.

Do you have your IUIs monitored? How are you tracking your ovulation? Maybe bloodwork and sono would help w/ the timing.

That's my

Old 09-28-04, 07:49 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

Cathy, why even the suggestion of a lap since you've never even been monitored? I agree with Jules. Tell your dr that you would like to have a hsg. A hsg will not put you out of commission and will defintely give you valuable information. You will know if your tubes are open or not. The dr will also get a picture of your uterus.

If all is clear with the hsg, I recommend monitored cycles. Go in on day 3 of your cycle for baseline b/w and u/s. The b/w should consist of FSH and E2 at a minimum. An elevated E2 level may mean you have a cyst. An u/s will confirm that. Also have you ever had other hormone levels tested? Some women have problems with their thyroid hormone and that can contribute to not getting pg. If you regularly ovulate around day 14 then start going back for u/s and b/w (E2) around day 10. An E2 level of 200 signifies a mature follicle. Also have your P4 (progesterone) checked at that time. Your level will indicate if ovulation is approaching. Testing your LH will let you know if you are surging.

Good Luck.

Old 09-28-04, 08:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I had an HSG 2 years ago and all was clear. Blood work shows I ovulate, but that's all I know. My IUIs are done 2 hours from here, so I'm not sure if the clinic would allow me to do the monitoring from here or not. If I'm paying for it, can I tell the clinic that I want this done? I haven't paid for any other bloodwork or HSG, only the IUIs (I'm Canadian), but I don't know about this other stuff. I'd like to get aggressive, but the clinic seems to want to wait. Is this stuff I will have to fight for?

Old 09-28-04, 10:48 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.91%

I am also in Canada and things here are alot more "pro-singleton" and therefore slower it seems. We had no choice but to complete cycles as our clinic ordered and we were also told to try 6 cycles on Clomid (even though it was not working) before we were allowed to move up to injectibles..now that being said before we ever we even permitted to do our very first IUI we had to complete all the testing upfront...HSG, SA, b/w, u/s, etc...as far as the baby aspirin - our RE recommended 1 a day starting at cd1 until IUI to help your lining if you have problems with it being less than 10mm....if you do not have u/s or b/w to confirm follies or your lining you are kinda in the dark and may want to increase your monitoring...

Latest Articles
Conceiving Quicker Doesn’t Mean Your Baby Will Be a Boy
Of all the old wives tales about gender selection, one, conceiving quicker means you will have a boy, has been debunked.

Benefits of Breastfeeding For a Year or Longer
Only 27% of mothers breastfeed their babies for one year, even though there are benefits abound. Learn the benefits of nursing your baby for a year or longer for both your baby, and for yourself.

October 2014 Celebrity Births and Pregnancy Announcements
Get the latest celebrity baby gossip including who recently has a baby, and who has just announced their expecting, in our monthly celebrity baby and pregnancy update.

2014 High Chair Buying Guide
If you are not sure which high chair to buy for your baby, take a look at our recommendations that are safe, and easy to use.

10 Car Seat Mistakes Most Parents Make
Studies show that many parents make these 10 common mistakes. Find out how to make sure your baby's car seat is safe.

September 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations romasa!

Calculators & Tools