Baby Corner

Old 05-19-05, 11:53 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Independent Insurance

Has anyone gotten their own independent insurance to cover IVF? I am looking into it right now so any information would be helpful.
Thanks

sarah2016

Old 05-19-05, 12:30 PM
is hoping for good news soon!
VIP Member

Thanked 123 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I have looked and looked, and never been able to find one.

Maybe someone else has been lucky and care share.

Susanne

Old 05-19-05, 03:24 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Susanne,

Where have you looked? What have you done? You haven't found one that will cover you or cover IVF? Sorry for all the questions, I just do not know a thing about this!!

sarah2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby hungry
I have looked and looked, and never been able to find one.

Maybe someone else has been lucky and care share.

Susanne

Old 05-19-05, 04:36 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Sarah, I don't think it's possible to get an independant policy to cover any kind of fertility treatment. I once called BC/BS and asked this and the customer service rep told me that no insurance company offers this because if you are requesting it then you OBVIOUSLY need it. No insurance company is gonna take $125/mo. and then pay out $20,000+.........especially knowing you need it. It makes me boiling mad!

Unfortunately, the way you WILL get insurance is through a group policy with an employer that decides to "buy" the fertility rider portion of the insurance (or if you live in a mandated state). Talk to your HR dept. and/or your DH's (or DP's?) HR dept. and request that they pick this up. You never know until you ask!! My old employer had a $25K lifetime max with United Healthcare in 2004 and then we switched to BC/BS for 2005 and they offered 2 IVF's and 2 IUI's (gee, thanks for the IUI's! LOL!). After talking to my HR dept. they said that a lot of people in our company needed the benefit, so they decided to go ahead and purchase the fertility rider for us (nice, huh?). I'm sure it was more involved than that, but that is what I was told in a nutshell.

Thank God I got in 3 fresh IVF's and 2 FET's under all my insurance. I resigned from my job due to a merger and my company also gave me 6 months of free COBRA until July 1. We will probably get in 1 more FET before then if needed.....saving us thousands!! After that we're on our own with FET's with our 10 remaining blasts, but they are only $3,000 vs. $20,000! We just kept doing fresh cycle after fresh cycle and stock piling our embryo's knowing that I was either leaving the company or our benefit would be gone after 2005.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-05, 05:44 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Snowboard Mom

THANK YOU! Finally something I understand! It has been so confusing trying to figure this out!
Where do you live? I do not live in a mandated state (MI) so I need to convince my company to get the fertility rider. My insurance is through BCBS of Michigan, POS, Point of Service. Can you add the fertility rider to any program?
Thanks again for all your help!
How long have you been trying and why?

sarah2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboardMom2B
Sarah, I don't think it's possible to get an independant policy to cover any kind of fertility treatment. I once called BC/BS and asked this and the customer service rep told me that no insurance company offers this because if you are requesting it then you OBVIOUSLY need it. No insurance company is gonna take $125/mo. and then pay out $20,000+.........especially knowing you need it. It makes me boiling mad!

Unfortunately, the way you WILL get insurance is through a group policy with an employer that decides to "buy" the fertility rider portion of the insurance (or if you live in a mandated state). Talk to your HR dept. and/or your DH's (or DP's?) HR dept. and request that they pick this up. You never know until you ask!! My old employer had a $25K lifetime max with United Healthcare in 2004 and then we switched to BC/BS for 2005 and they offered 2 IVF's and 2 IUI's (gee, thanks for the IUI's! LOL!). After talking to my HR dept. they said that a lot of people in our company needed the benefit, so they decided to go ahead and purchase the fertility rider for us (nice, huh?). I'm sure it was more involved than that, but that is what I was told in a nutshell.

Thank God I got in 3 fresh IVF's and 2 FET's under all my insurance. I resigned from my job due to a merger and my company also gave me 6 months of free COBRA until July 1. We will probably get in 1 more FET before then if needed.....saving us thousands!! After that we're on our own with FET's with our 10 remaining blasts, but they are only $3,000 vs. $20,000! We just kept doing fresh cycle after fresh cycle and stock piling our embryo's knowing that I was either leaving the company or our benefit would be gone after 2005.

Good luck!!!!!!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools