Baby Corner

Old 12-08-05, 12:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 64 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default It's a Girl!

Hi everyone...we are having a little girl! I am 17 weeks already hard to believe. All looked good, they measured the neck again which was good and the femur, she is growing well and normal, she weighed 6 oz. However they did find a spot in the left ventrical of the heart. The dr. does not seem to concerned about it, but said it is a LONG name can't remember it but in English a calcium calcification. He wasn't concern because I don't have any hard markers for a chromosonal problem such as Downs...but this is a soft marker for what could be Downs. Since all the other tests are normal it just brings my 1/3500 chance of having a Downs baby back to 1/777. So he said we could either wait until our Echo sono on 1/5/06 or have an Amnio. He told us to talk about it and to call the office if we would like to schedule it. This is just for peace of mind. He does not believe in pushing Amnio's and I believe that if he really thought there was something to be worried about that he would have recommended it right away but he does not seem too concerned about it, he just said it is something that is there. Well Dh and I decided before we left to do the Anmio so we are scheduled for 12/14 for that. I am trying not to get down about it...but it weighs heavy on my heart and my mind. But the fact that he stated all was normal they even measured her head, all was normal...these measurements are all for Downs and all were normal...so I am just a little overwhelmed at the moment, scared, but I know all will be ok. The Dr. said this does not mean she will be pron to heartattacks or heart problems, this is just a soft marker, unlike a what a hard marker would be, thickening of the neck, femurs not growing...etc. She was very active though.

I just wanted to let you all know that we were having a little girl. Thank you all for your support thru all of this. The worrying never stops.

Last edited by JagsAli; 12-08-05 at 12:43 PM.

Old 12-08-05, 03:15 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Allison, You are already such a great MOM!!! Making tough decisions and worrying

It sound like you're happy to be having a girl-so that is great!! Once the amnio is done you'll have some peace of mind again....try to relax-what fun...I'm seeing pink as I type

Old 12-08-05, 03:30 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Oh jeez Allison. I tell you not ONE of us can just have a worry free easy breezy pregnancy. After all we've been through. I'm praying for you little GIRL!!! YEA!!! I'm sure everything is fine. She's still so young I'm sure it will all clear up with the Amnio. I never really did get the Amnio though, so what if it's positive, will you do something different? That's why I never got one. I'm having this baby no matter what! Maybe they can do something? I don't know, I don't get it. Anyway, peace of mind is huge though huh? I'm excited you're having a girl cuz I hate to say it boy havers, girls stuff is soooo much cuter. Congratulations Allison, you are a great mom! Leslie

Old 12-08-05, 04:20 PM
Community Member

Thanked 64 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks Bonnie & Leslie for the encouraging words. I don't think I will do anything different, I think it will just help us prepare more should there be something wrong, but it is not going to be! She is strong and healthy except for that calcium in her heart....I read a little on the internet, I know, I know, but it says that 5% of healthy babies have this and it goes away before birth or shortly thereafter, it does not effect the heart in anyway...so that is good. My friend, who also went thru IVF she is due in Jan...her daughter has the SAME thing! All her other tests were normal like mine she opted not to do the amnio...she is much younger than me. But it did make me feel better. There is nothing that can be done for it, it just is...so there either is a birth defect or not. So we will see...but it was so great to see her and I got a video too. Yeah peace of mind is good especially when you have to wait sooo long in between appointments and not knowing...so it will help either way for us, it was a decision me and dh made together...so we can prepare if need be. But thank you all again for your support and words of encouragement it does help ALOT.

Old 12-08-05, 11:28 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Congratulations Allison I am so happy for you and your baby GIRL!!! OK, I know this is completely impossible but please try not to worry about the "spot". A few years ago my cousin had a similar experience - she worried herself sick and the spot turned out to be nothing. Her baby (now a little girl) is fine and absolutely beautiful, just like yours will be. I'm just so sorry you have to go through this stessful part. Is there anything you can do to help relieve the stress? How about a massage? It's my favorite reccommendation - I'm going to schedule one myself in a few days....

J.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools