Baby Corner

Old 03-06-05, 02:53 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%

Marie, I think you answered your own question. No clinic should ever make anyone feel stupid. And being stressed is certainly not going to aid you in ttc. I guess it's time to check out other clinics and find out what their protocols are. You need to find a dr that will work, not against, you.

Old 03-06-05, 04:22 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Hi there,

I agree with the change of clinic to I think you know your body better than anyone. There is a real culture here in the UK that you just do not question your doctors decision even if you know it is wrong. You are made to feel stupid, rude and above yourself if you question your doctor and that is just not right.

We are not assertive enough here in the UK and I know you may not want to sit a cycle out but could you do 1 cycle with old doc and next one with a new one? If not maybe it is better sitting 1 cycle out and getting a quick BFP with new doc than waste cycle after cycle with old doc. I think if this is a problem right off the bat with this doc things will only get worse you will not trust his judgement on anything and that is so very stressful in a time which needs no more stress than is there already.

Either way whatever you decide everybody is unique which includes your cycle and you know it best it is my understanding that the sperm needs to be there waiting for the egg though your right.

Good luck maybe we will be cycle buddies this year!

Ruthx

Old 03-06-05, 04:51 AM
Waiting for that BFP!

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Thanks so much girls -
I think you're right, especially about the stress not being worth it.
I rang and asked about 2 IUI's - NO.
I stated that I felt it would give me a better chance, and that I know my body (while respecting they know about fertility) and I can't see me getting pregnant 24 hours after ovulation. Again, they just brushed me off, saying the egg lives 3-5 days, which I KNOW is so wrong.
They seemed impatient that I would even dare to ask questions, so I do think we need to move clinics.
I've got an appointment set with another clinic with an excellent reputation on Tuesday. They said I could start right away, as all my tests (HIV, FSH, LH) are up to date, so I may be able to start next cycle! (although I'll be 7dpo on tuesday, so they'll only have a week's notice!)
Even if I do have to sit a cycle out, surely its better if they can listen and give me hope?

Ruth - I did think about doing 1 cycle with this clinic, and then start with the other clinic the cycle after - I think I'll make my mind up for sure on tuesday - would be great if we were cycle buddies!

Jules - They said I could do an HCG trigger, but they would do it when they see my follicle is popping - which I think it too late to trigger? Not sure though?

Thanks for all the support, will update on Tuesday.

Marie xx

Old 03-06-05, 10:49 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

If you do decide to stay with your clinic, you should print out these pages and hand over to the dr.

An egg lives 12-24 hours after leaving the ovary

If they don't accept what we daft Americans do then here are some UK links:

The egg only lives between 12-24 hours so it increases the chance of pregnancy if the sperm are ready and waiting.

There is only a short time in each month when you are most likely to conceive as an egg lives for about a day

- London's Women's Clinic

The cycle is monitored with ultrasound scans and insemination is performed at around the time of ovulation

- Harley Street Fertility Clinic

IUI is usually performed between day 12 and day 15 of the cycle and it is timed accurately to coincide with the day of ovulation

Old 03-06-05, 11:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

"THE EGG LIVES 3-5 DAYS"..??? Are they CRAZY?? The egg lives 24 hours maximum and I really think that after 12 it begins to disintegrate and become less viable. I agree that it's definitely time for a new clinic, sadly.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
March 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Wasim!

Calculators & Tools