Baby Corner

Old 05-25-11, 11:36 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I agree with the ladies that trying with IUI is a good start.

We had two healthy, quick pregnancies--then 5 miscarriages. We proceeded with IUI and conceived on our second round. I don't know where you live, but even with ultrasound monitoring, our IUI cost was only about $1,800/round. That's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than IVF at about $12,000/round.

I would encourage you to try more than one round of IUI, should you need it. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get everything "just right" so stopping after the first try would be selling yourselves short.

Interestingly, our first IUI produced 7 follicles and when I didn't conceive, I was discouraged. Our second IUI produced only 1 follicle so I figured there was NO WAY I'd conceive (because really...if I couldn't conceive with 7 follies, how were those swimmers going to snag only ONE?

). BUT--that one follicle worked and we now have a 2-year-old son. So never give up hope, even when logic seems to be against you.

Keep coming here for advice and support throughout your process. There are many of us who have walked the path before you and have information and experience to share.

Thank you Dopey406!
babywishes (07-31-11)

Old 05-25-11, 01:08 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 520%

Dopey406, thanks for the advice. I only know one person who has done the IUI and it didn't work out for them. Did you use any medications when you did the IUI? When I do the IUI I will be doing it with medication, so the cost is going to be between $3-4,000. In my husband's mind, 3 failed tries and we are almost at the IVF price. I will be doing all the ultrasound monitoring and such, but I will be driving about 1.5 hours for each appointment. I just don't know what to expect from any of this. I never thought that I would have this much trouble conceiving, I had very normal periods all my life. I like this website for talking to others who have gone through it. Thanks for all the advice, I will be doing my first IUI in the beginning of June.

Old 05-25-11, 06:28 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

Yes, I did Clomid and trigger shots in addition to the ultrasound monitoring. I'm with Jeanne--without the ultrasound monitoring, the chances are much lower.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-26-11, 02:47 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Remind your hubby that 3 rounds of IUI would equal only ONE round of IVF....my DH can get caught up in numbers and finacial stuff too. Good luck and keep us posted! I really hope the IUI is all you need!

Old 05-26-11, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I used medication-- I did injectible meds, plus a host of other things once, and clomid other times. The first time, I actually forget how many IUI tries I did... maybe 3? The second time it was 2 or 3. Even when I had to pay for all the meds, it was only about 1,000 (and when i say only, I know that's a lot of money, but it wasn't 4k). Usually, if the clinic does it right, they can get partial coverage for the u/s and b/w monitoring because it's part of the diagnosis of the problem "sort of." Meaning, they're monitoring your cycle and hormones to determine the quality of your ovualtion cycle. I never paid for that stuff, and my insurance didn't cover it.
I did the most invasive protocol you can without doing ivf and my cycles were nowhere near that much.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools