Baby Corner

Old 01-08-09, 09:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 3 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default ivf & fmla vs. sick leave

is anyone out there working full time & also trying to go through ivf? my egg retrieval is scheduled to take place sometime around 2/5 and the egg transfer is 2/11. my dr wants me on bed rest for 3 days and then to stay home from work till the 25th.

question: will my employers require me to use my fmla for this or can i CHOOSE sick time? i want to save up my fmla for when i do get pregnant. anyone know?

Old 01-09-09, 10:36 AM
Community Member

Thanked 83 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I work one job full time and the other job part-time. I am going to take just my sick days because my doctor has only said that I have to stay home 4 days after the transfer. So really I will only be taking off work for 3 days. And then he has given me clearance to return to work the following Monday.

Old 01-09-09, 11:42 AM
is cancer free :)
Community Member

Thanked 432 Times
Weekly Activity 920%

I would think that it is just regular sick time - isn;t FMLA for AFTER the baby comes?

Old 01-09-09, 02:27 PM
Community Member

Thanked 3 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

i'm really nervous. i just told the hr person at work about me taking an addt'l 10-14 days off (even after 3 days of bedrest) and she's saying that she has to talk to the supervisors, and i might be getting a reduced pay. she said it doesn't qualify for sick time.

why is my doctor having me off for so many days? i'm wondering if i should just do the 3 days of bedrest, and just come to work.

Old 01-09-09, 04:25 PM
Community Member

Thanked 83 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I don't know why your doctor is having you off so many days. Your condition might be different than mine. I know some people that have taken off until the pregnancy test but I think that was by personal choice. I think my doctor just knows that I can not take that many days off because I work two jobs and I am always asking him can I go back to work earlier than what I am suppose to. When I had my surgery, I was suppose to be on three days of bed rest but the day after I asked him if I could return to work and he said no.

You could always ask you doctor. Anytime that I have had anything different than other people that have gone through IVF, I ask my doctor and he usually has a good explanation.

Everything is going to work out great!!! Don't stress, just enjoy the ride. I know how hard it is to relax. I am the biggest stressor in the world. I have to chew on things over and over again. We are here for each other support and report what we are going through
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools