Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments To IVF or NOT to IVF...that is the question

To IVF or NOT to IVF...that is the question

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 11-21-05, 11:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default To IVF or NOT to IVF...that is the question

Hello all. Well I had my 3rd negative. Only got to try 3x in 6 months due to elevated estrogen in day 3's. Each day 3 after a month of trying/meds gave me elevated day 3's. The next month I was young and spry! So I don't know where to go next...The big issue is that I have ONLY 3 vials of my donor left (Seth's donor). I don't want to do another donor selection at this point. So I have 3 chances on the near horizon. So how do I make the most of them? Maximize my chances of having a full sibling for Seth?

Should I go straight for IVF? My insurance will cover little to nothing. Are my chances of success greater with IVF than IUI? I stimulate ok...not massive production but not totally non-responsive.

Or should I try another IUI? I have some meds left from when I had insurance that covered it (just changed jobs). So I could use them with a last ditch IUI effort. Or I could shift them over to a IVF and take some of the financial edge off of the IVF round.

Are my chances with IVF significantly greater than with IUI? Or are both of them about the same?

ANY feedback about this would be much appreciated.

Jen

Old 11-21-05, 11:03 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

According to our clinic success rates for IVF were not substancially higher to validate the huge jump in cost! We never moved to IVF for that reason and having no insurance coverage at all...well-timed IUI's are nearly at par with IVF...

Old 11-22-05, 12:25 AM
In Mommy Heaven

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

This is a tough one Jen. I may be in your shoes if I am lucky enough to get any response at all. Do you spend the $3-5K for an IUI with a maybe 20% chance at the most if you have good quality eggs, or do you spend $15K or more and only need to hope for implantation? At least with IVF you know that you are dealing with decent eggs, and if you stim well you could end up with frosties for another try.

If you stim well, and you think you could get a bunch of eggs, I'd go for the IVF. If they think you may only have one or two good quality eggs, then it's a much tougher decision.

Is there any chance at all of getting more vials? Have you tried the Donor Sibling Registry? Someone there may have vials available.

Good luck Jen. I am praying like crazy for you and Seth!

Old 11-22-05, 01:08 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I'd spend the $15K and go straight to IVF. With a lot of clinics you can do an IVF + all the FET's you have frozen embies for at that price. Some, like mine, has the "buy one get one free". So you are spending $15K for many attempts. If having a bio sib is a big deal and you only have 3 vials left, I wouldn't even consider doing IUI's. I'd use those meds you have and put them towards an IVF cycle. Good luck!

Old 11-22-05, 01:22 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

For me personally I'd keep doing the IUIs. I did 2 IVFs w/ DH and that was the emotion and physical toll it took on my body was awful. That is why we went the DI route. IUIs were a breeze in comparison, plus a lot cheaper. The first time I got pg on my 4th try, the second on my first try and this last time on my 7th try...all w/ meds. So up to you but I'm more of the IUI gal...unless you have a problem w/ your eggs or are experiencing female-related infertility issues. Then IVF may be a better choice. So many factors and every woman is different.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools