Baby Corner

Old 10-09-04, 06:28 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question IVF questions (long-sorry)

I'm a newbie here.

DH and I are carriers of a rare autosomal recessive genetic disease which our 2 year old son has. It's a terrible disease and as a result we are considering trying IVF with preimplantation genetic diagnosis. Our other options are using a sperm donor or conceiving our own baby which we would terminate if it was affected with the disease. There is a 25% chance each pregnancy would be affected. (disease is fatal , degenerative etc etc) The testing for the disease takes a while to come back and so would result in a second trimester termination which I really don't want to risk.
Anyways......
I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction for info about IVF and/or PGD.
I have read lots of general medical information but can't find the answers to some basic questions like
1) how awful is it REALLY being on the hormone shots etc?
2) how many eggs can they usually get per cycle
(we have the added problem that likely only one out of four of our embryos would be implantable as the others would be carriers or affected with the disease)
Personally I am leaning towards using a sperm donor-- but for obvious reasons DH is having a tough time with that idea. IVF sounds pretty awful to me- but maybe I'm just being a wimp

TIA any input would be appreciated

Old 10-09-04, 09:09 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

First of all, welcome to the board. Secondly, you are not a wimp. I have done several IVFs and while I might be a pro by now (sadly), I cried the first time I had to give myself a shot in the stomach with a 1/2" needle. Now I have no problem jabbing myself in the thigh with 1-1/2" intramuscular needles.

1) The hormone injections are not awful. Just keep your eye on the prize and that will get you through it. I had more of a reaction to clomid i.e. mood swings, cysts etc.

2) There is no set answer to this question. I also need some more info from you. What is your FSH? How old are you? How long did you try to get pg with your son?

What IVF clinic are you going to go to? My previous clinic would only do PGD if you had at least 8 embryos with 8 cells each. With removing 1 cell to study, there is a risk of embryo loss. While using donor sperm would save you a lot of heartache (and money), I understand how your husband feels.

My heart goes out to you and your family and your son with this genetic disease.

Old 10-09-04, 11:20 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

thanks so much for your reply

I don't know my FSH (I assume that's follicle stimulating hormane level?) We haven't had any sort of work up done
I seem to be pretty fertile -I am 32 I have had two pregnancies resulting in two births-- both were easy first try conceptions

It's not for infertility that we would be doing IVF-- it's to be able to do the PGD. I would assume even though we have no infertility problems we would still have the same low chance of conceiving as with normal IVF (?30%) plus problems with low numbers of implantable embryos since many (approx 75%) would be not implantable due to the disease.
We live in Canada and would be using a clinic at the Foothills Hospital in Calgary.
I'm wondering how likely it is to get 8 embryos? How many eggs does a typical healthy 32 year old woman produce in one cycle with IVF drugs?
So the injections weren't that bad? What about the side effects? I'm more worried about being a moody, emotional basket case than I am about getting the injections . I'm an emotional gal at the best of times and I need to be sane to deal with the needs of my son. We would also be having to travel to a city two hours away to have the procedures done.

Old 10-10-04, 08:00 AM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 2820%

Hi! I'm an donor IUI vet that's been on meds for way too long

, and just had my 1st IVf cycle cancelled. There are very few side effects with meds, and like Glinda said, the emotional side effects are much more pronounced with Clomid. The injectibles work directly on your ovaries, while Clomid works on your brain.

I think Glinda asked for your FSH because it would determine what your dosage of meds would be. How many eggs you'll produce is hard to say, it depends on your dosage and how your body responds to stimulation. Given your past Hx, you'll probably have no problem producing at least a dozen follicles, if not more.

As far as info on PGD, try going to

. When doc wanted me to do PGD, I went there, and there are several other places on the web to get info if you go through a good search engine like Google.

Old 10-10-04, 09:31 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

In addition to the dosage of meds, your FSH gives you some idea of how you will respond to the meds. I think with the ease that you got pg before and with your age, it is not unrealistic to think you will get 15 eggs or better. The lower your FSH, the better your response to meds.

The only physical side effect you will feel from the meds will be a fullness in your ovaries. That's a good thing! Means they are working and your ovaries are producing. Your clinic may give you lupron for suppression. I have heard of women experiencing headaches with lupron. There may be emotional side effects but I think you can handle it.

I'm going to send you an e-mail with other information. So when you see the title "Glinda from The Baby Corner", don't delete it

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools