Baby Corner

Old 08-05-05, 07:52 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Long Distance Monitoring Costs

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice and/or cost comparisons for long distance monitoring? My insurance does not cover infertility.

I called Eastern Maine Med the other day and got the following quotes for bloodwork (preg test and Estradiol level) and a follicular ultrasound. The doc said I'd need at least 3 visits:

$724 for the first visit
$484 for every subsequent visit

This includes a fee for ultasound reading contracted with Spectrum Radiology ($179, then $100) which I do not need but they insist upon ("It's the law" ?!?!?).

My alternative would be to camp out in Boston for a week or two and have the monitoring done there, which would be much cheaper. I can stay at a friend's, but there's this thing called WORK, what a drag.

Is this incredibly high or am I just naive? Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!
jjello

Old 08-05-05, 12:30 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

jjello, I live in Alaska and did my IVF in Minnesota. I spent about 40K altogether and am jelous you girls get such a good deal.

After my BFP the Dr. visits have been 450 a week (I am now transfered to a local Dr.) so......! GO FOR IT!! Leslie

Old 08-05-05, 03:37 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I did out of state monitoring for my IVF cycles. The u/s cost $150 each. I thought that was a very good price for NYC. Also, the nurses at this lab were nice enough to code the u/s as irregular menstrual disorder. Therefore, my insurance co. reimbursed me 70% because it had nothing to do with infertility. If it said follicle study as the diagnosis, I wouldn't have received a dime. Now, the b/w was covered because it falls under diagnostic work, not b/w for IVF. If you have an irregular menstrual disorder it wouldn't look odd if your hormone levels were being watched. Although I wasn't charged, depending on the specific test, the costs were anywhere from $80 to $135 each. My clinic has you test for LH, E2, P4 and FSH every time you go to the lab. These costs would have added up tremendously as the clinic has been known to send you every other day and every day towards the end of your cycle.

Old 08-08-05, 09:19 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Thanks guys. Your info is helping me to negotiate with the various business offices. I spent half of Friday on the phone and found out that Eastern Maine Med quoted me the price of blood work done in their labs - but that I can just as easily go to an affiliated lab on the same premises for almost half the cost. So the bloodwork is now much more reasonable.

So now I'm going to chip away at the ultrasounds, which really seem inflated. ($749 vs. $160 - WTF?) What I can't figure out is why nobody at Boston IVF can give me any prices or info about being monitored through Eastern Maine Med - they do this all the time......

Believe it or not I am still not totally committed to going through with this - maybe I'll only feel that way when I do the first injection???? :-)

jjello

Old 08-08-05, 03:38 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Whoops - my error. The ultrasound is $312. It was the bloodwork plue ultrasound that was $749.

jjello
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools