Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments >
my first shots this morning (@ 7:30 am)!

my first shots this morning (@ 7:30 am)!

Reply Post New Topic

• pearlgirlulm pearlgirlulm's Avatar 01-27-09 | 09:16 PM
  • I have some HUGE needles too!! I asked my mom about them who is a nurse. The one that I am really scared of is 18G 1 1/2. She said that the only time she used on that big was when she was drawing up medicine. She has never shot a patient with it, but we will see.

They did not look how many eggs I have exactly. the took pictures and measure then and was happy that a lot were developing.

I started this process before and I felt like a nervous wreck. I felt like something was not right. Then I found out that I had pollyps and I needed surgery. So we stopped the process. This time I am feeling calm. That is only word that can described it...calm!! The last time a started it, I told my entire family, friends, and co-workers. It was hard when everybody kept asking how is IVF going and I had to explain all the time. This time only a handful know...my mom, dad, and best friend. That is it.

I can not wait to hear how your appt goes on Thursday
  • Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 01-29-09 | 02:27 PM
  • Ibentow - everyone has a slightly different protocol. I downregged with buserelin nasal sprayevery 8 hours, three times a day for 22 days before also starting 11 days of injecting Puregon.

I didn't have any injections after the egg collection, as they prescribed me Cyclogest progesterone pessaries, which I had to continue until I was 11 weeks pregnant.

I was really quite stressed and nervous throughout the whole cycle and had headaches (from the downregging drugs), and was very tired and had the occasional 'hot-flush'. While talking about the side-effects I also started to get a bit bloated and had pulling pains in my abdomen.

In terms of results 2 days before EC I had follicles measuring 28, 26, 24, 16, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 and a couple of tiddlers under 10mm. Out of those only 3 were mature enough, and out of those 3, 2 fertilised and on the 2nd day after EC they'd made it to 4 cell embryo's. Both were put back.

In the UK there is a strict criteria about the number of follicles that can be put back, and if you're under 40 then the maximum amount is 2.

I hope you ladies are keeping up on the good protein, and your folic acid and drinking lots of water/juice!!

Oh and BTW The big needles will more than likely be to mix your powder and saline for the hCG trigger shot!
  • lbentow 01-29-09 | 08:54 PM
  • i went to the doctor today, and she said i only had 4 good eggs (my retrieval set for next thurs/fri) and she recommended that i postpone ivf till another cycle. she said women my age should be producing 15 or so! she kept my meds low b/c of my age, size, etc. so we are 'upping' the meds today, tomorrow, and thru the weekend. i go back tomorrow for blood and u/s and monday. she'll let us know monday for sure if we should proceed with ivf or not. my husband said it's up to me, if i want to go forward with 4 eggs, he would be supportive of it. my dr said it just isn't cost effective to do ivf with 4 eggs. what do u think?
  • pearlgirlulm pearlgirlulm's Avatar 01-29-09 | 09:36 PM
  • okay my question is are they saying that you only have 4 follicles? The only reason I ask that is that I want to make sure that I am understanding the situation. The only thing I can say is that I am not a doctor and I can only speak from personal experience. When I went and they did my sonogram on Wednesday, I had 21 follicles that they could see. They said that I probably have more but they could not see more. However, my doctor is aware thatthis is it and that I am not a typical 26 year old. He understands that I am not fertile murtle. So he has had me on a numerous shots and meds. Everyday he has been uping the dosage.

I am really sorry! I hate to have bad news like that. I started this process once and I had to stop to have surgery. I was crushed. I knew it was for the best for it ws hard to accept. i am really hoping that your eggs start producing and you get to go forward in his process
  • Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 01-30-09 | 02:57 PM
  • I posted this on your other thread...

So are they saying you have 4 follicles in total? Or 4 dominant ones?

It's possible with the drugs that other follicles could pick up, but I just wanted to point out that 2 days before EC I had follicles measuring 28, 26, 24, 16, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 and a couple of tiddlers under 10mm. Now anything over 18mm has potential, any follicles under 18mm are unlikely to be mature enough. Out of those 11 follicles, I got 3 eggs, and from those 3 eggs, 2 embryo's, and from those 2 embryo's, one BFP.

If 2 days before EC you have 4 follicles that are over 18mm and have potential to contain a mature egg then, personally, I would go for it. Sure, I would have loved 15 mature follicles, but heck I am 17 weeks pregnant, I don't care how many follies I have now! 3 mature follies was enough, and so I'd say if it works it's cost effective!! You don't get a better deal if you get multiples.

You want to be a Mum, and so you just have to decide whether you want to wait another few months for that chance, or whether this cycle could hold your dreams come true.