Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments my first shots this morning (@ 7:30 am)!

my first shots this morning (@ 7:30 am)!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-27-09, 08:16 PM
Community Member

Thanked 83 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I have some HUGE needles too!! I asked my mom about them who is a nurse. The one that I am really scared of is 18G 1 1/2. She said that the only time she used on that big was when she was drawing up medicine. She has never shot a patient with it, but we will see.

They did not look how many eggs I have exactly. the took pictures and measure then and was happy that a lot were developing.

I started this process before and I felt like a nervous wreck. I felt like something was not right. Then I found out that I had pollyps and I needed surgery. So we stopped the process. This time I am feeling calm. That is only word that can described it...calm!! The last time a started it, I told my entire family, friends, and co-workers. It was hard when everybody kept asking how is IVF going and I had to explain all the time. This time only a handful know...my mom, dad, and best friend. That is it.

I can not wait to hear how your appt goes on Thursday

Old 01-29-09, 01:27 PM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

Ibentow - everyone has a slightly different protocol. I downregged with buserelin nasal sprayevery 8 hours, three times a day for 22 days before also starting 11 days of injecting Puregon.

I didn't have any injections after the egg collection, as they prescribed me Cyclogest progesterone pessaries, which I had to continue until I was 11 weeks pregnant.

I was really quite stressed and nervous throughout the whole cycle and had headaches (from the downregging drugs), and was very tired and had the occasional 'hot-flush'. While talking about the side-effects I also started to get a bit bloated and had pulling pains in my abdomen.

In terms of results 2 days before EC I had follicles measuring 28, 26, 24, 16, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 and a couple of tiddlers under 10mm. Out of those only 3 were mature enough, and out of those 3, 2 fertilised and on the 2nd day after EC they'd made it to 4 cell embryo's. Both were put back.

In the UK there is a strict criteria about the number of follicles that can be put back, and if you're under 40 then the maximum amount is 2.

I hope you ladies are keeping up on the good protein, and your folic acid and drinking lots of water/juice!!

Oh and BTW The big needles will more than likely be to mix your powder and saline for the hCG trigger shot!

Old 01-29-09, 07:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 3 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

i went to the doctor today, and she said i only had 4 good eggs (my retrieval set for next thurs/fri) and she recommended that i postpone ivf till another cycle. she said women my age should be producing 15 or so! she kept my meds low b/c of my age, size, etc. so we are 'upping' the meds today, tomorrow, and thru the weekend. i go back tomorrow for blood and u/s and monday. she'll let us know monday for sure if we should proceed with ivf or not. my husband said it's up to me, if i want to go forward with 4 eggs, he would be supportive of it. my dr said it just isn't cost effective to do ivf with 4 eggs. what do u think?

Old 01-29-09, 08:36 PM
Community Member

Thanked 83 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

okay my question is are they saying that you only have 4 follicles? The only reason I ask that is that I want to make sure that I am understanding the situation. The only thing I can say is that I am not a doctor and I can only speak from personal experience. When I went and they did my sonogram on Wednesday, I had 21 follicles that they could see. They said that I probably have more but they could not see more. However, my doctor is aware thatthis is it and that I am not a typical 26 year old. He understands that I am not fertile murtle. So he has had me on a numerous shots and meds. Everyday he has been uping the dosage.

I am really sorry! I hate to have bad news like that. I started this process once and I had to stop to have surgery. I was crushed. I knew it was for the best for it ws hard to accept. i am really hoping that your eggs start producing and you get to go forward in his process

Old 01-30-09, 01:57 PM
is loving being a Mum to a miracle
British Community Leaders

Thanked 283 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

I posted this on your other thread...

So are they saying you have 4 follicles in total? Or 4 dominant ones?

It's possible with the drugs that other follicles could pick up, but I just wanted to point out that 2 days before EC I had follicles measuring 28, 26, 24, 16, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 and a couple of tiddlers under 10mm. Now anything over 18mm has potential, any follicles under 18mm are unlikely to be mature enough. Out of those 11 follicles, I got 3 eggs, and from those 3 eggs, 2 embryo's, and from those 2 embryo's, one BFP.

If 2 days before EC you have 4 follicles that are over 18mm and have potential to contain a mature egg then, personally, I would go for it. Sure, I would have loved 15 mature follicles, but heck I am 17 weeks pregnant, I don't care how many follies I have now! 3 mature follies was enough, and so I'd say if it works it's cost effective!! You don't get a better deal if you get multiples.

You want to be a Mum, and so you just have to decide whether you want to wait another few months for that chance, or whether this cycle could hold your dreams come true.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools