Baby Corner

Old 12-14-05, 05:31 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default question about BETA numbers

Hi! Today is my first day on this website, so a little background.... I just completed my first IVF cycle. Lived through the shots and the retrieval- (I was terrified) and then had 4 embryos implanted. My first pregnancy test showed a BETA of 7, which is way low. A few days later it was 24, then a few days after that it was 40. So, last Wednesday it was 40, and I was told to stop my progesterone, which I did. Then on Saturday my period started, very very heavy. Today I had another test done to see the numbers go down, and they actually went up- to 95! Now, I know that this is too low to be a viable pregnancy, plus I am bleeding anyways, but obviously I have already peaked and my numbers are now on their way back down. My question is- do you think I stopped the progresterone too early? If the BETA was 40 last Wed. and my period started on Saturday, then would my numbers have to have been higher before the bleeding? Do you think if I would have kept on the meds that maybe this would have not miscarried? I don't know what to think!

Old 12-14-05, 05:57 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Bawilkison, Welcome to the boards...I'm sorry you've had to go through this...is totally sucks to have you hopes up and then be kept in limbo...yuk! I wish I could give you more insight on the beta numbers...I'm just learning more about them myself. This board is full of experienced women though and I'm sure you'll get some good info. I just wanted to say "welcome"! Will you try again???

Old 12-14-05, 06:10 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

How many days after your transfer was you beta? I had a 7 on my first beta and they just told me sorry it didn't work and to stop taking my meds. I'm not sure what the magic number is but I think it has to be around 100 or so. Sorry you're having a hard time but welcome to this board. The best support you can get anywhere going through what you are. Leslie

Old 12-14-05, 07:42 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Hi and welcome, I'm just very sorry you had to arrive in your present circumstances. I'm at the end of my first IVF cycle and I don't know anything about beta numbers, so I hope to learn with you. Everyone here is incredibly supportive and informative, and often really funny too - I don't know how I would have made it through my cycle without them!

Take care of yourself,
Julie

Old 12-14-05, 08:38 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Hi, welcome to the boards. My first cycle I had a beta of 20. My doc. told me to stay on the meds, but that it would probably drop down to zero anyway. I wasn't allowed to stop my progesterone until the number in fact did hit 0. It took a week or so and was a horrible experience. For me, I would have rather have just had a negative preg. test than to have a positive with such a low beta. My doc. said that with it so low, it almost always turns to a miscarriage. Sorry you are having to go through this. Do you have any frozen embies from your cycle? Will you try again? This website is great and you will love the ladies on it. They are all so full of information and so supportive. Good luck Missy
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools