Baby Corner

Old 06-23-05, 09:51 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Post So many questions . . . .

I left the doctor feeling like I had a handle on "things". Now, after reading through so many of your stories yesterday and today, I am not so sure anymore. I am 24 and am just beginning this process with my husband for the first time. So many of you seem to be on your 2nd, 3rd, etc . . .try. Does it really take that many tries??? The problem with our infertility is my husband, not me. What I mean by that, is that I am able to carry a baby, accoring to all of those doctors. So, will it still take us going through this over and over. THis whole situation can be truly overwhelming to think about. We have been married one year, almost to the day. I always knew we would have to have extra help conceiving, but this process is so incredibly emotional. So, these shots that I have to give myself . . .where does the needle go (arm, butt, etc) and is it just a little prick or something worse? Do any of you women feel somewhat on your own in this process. My husband is the most loving, supportive man I have ever met . . . but, I am the one doing all of the tests, and taking the medications,etc. Just wondering. Thanks

Old 06-23-05, 10:10 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

IVF can work on the first try or it may not. No one can give you that answer. Since you are 24, age is on your side. Theoretically, you should produce alot of eggs from the meds due to your age. Depending on the type of medication, the shots can be given in your stomach, thighs or butt.

You wrote in a previous thread that you are doing this due to a genetic disorder with your husband? Are you doing PGD with IVF? Do you know what procedures you are doing?

While you are not going through this alone, basically your husband's part is the "donation". You can get him more involved by having him give you the shots. Fun

Old 06-23-05, 12:14 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I am not sure what PGD means

but, we have to go through a whole string of things. First, my husband has to donate the sperm, then the egss get fertilzied, biopsied for the genetic disorder, and then get placed back into me. I hope that we have plenty of "good" embryos, because this whole process is looking pretty pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinda
IVF can work on the first try or it may not. No one can give you that answer. Since you are 24, age is on your side. Theoretically, you should produce alot of eggs from the meds due to your age. Depending on the type of medication, the shots can be given in your stomach, thighs or butt.

You wrote in a previous thread that you are doing this due to a genetic disorder with your husband? Are you doing PGD with IVF? Do you know what procedures you are doing?

While you are not going through this alone, basically your husband's part is the "donation". You can get him more involved by having him give you the shots. Fun

Old 06-23-05, 12:27 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

It is a lot. When I got the video explaining all the meds and procedures I started crying because it was all so confusing. The nurses and doctors don't miss a beat though and make sure you get it. My husband is super supportive and LOVES giving me the shots (that's scary) but didn't read any of the guides. He does go on appts. with me but I feel like it's mostly me taking care of stuff. Which is fine. It's actually a little less stressful. When I went for my second transfer he couldn't go with me and I had SUCH a time. Laying around the hotel, room service, movies, light shoppig, without "I'm bored!" in my ear. It was a nice little break. I did have to do the shots myself which was REALLY scary but I do them mostly myself now anyway. For some reason it hurts less when I do it. Your so young and have so much time I would count my lucky stars. You'll do great! Leslie PS I'm 40.

Old 06-23-05, 03:28 PM
is needing to update my kids pics, wow!
Ava and Gavin's mom

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default i know how you feel

[
I feel like we have the same situation. I am 28 and mu husband has extremely low motility. after going to the clinic yesterday, they determioned they will start with IVF with ICSI. I am glad I do not have to go threw wasted cycles, but am horrified with what is abot to take place. My sister has a 1.5 year old with IVF and is now pregnant with twins, I saw all she went threw and its scary. My husband works nights, so who will give me my shots, so many questions shooting around in my head. He is happy they have come up with a plan, but I am scared and sometimes think I am not tough enough to do it. The end result is what matters, a happy baby. Keep me informed abotu all your tests coming up, in about three weeks i have to do all the tests too for insurance to cover it.

QUOTE=christinarhoad]I left the doctor feeling like I had a handle on "things". Now, after reading through so many of your stories yesterday and today, I am not so sure anymore. I am 24 and am just beginning this process with my husband for the first time. So many of you seem to be on your 2nd, 3rd, etc . . .try. Does it really take that many tries??? The problem with our infertility is my husband, not me. What I mean by that, is that I am able to carry a baby, accoring to all of those doctors. So, will it still take us going through this over and over. THis whole situation can be truly overwhelming to think about. We have been married one year, almost to the day. I always knew we would have to have extra help conceiving, but this process is so incredibly emotional. So, these shots that I have to give myself . . .where does the needle go (arm, butt, etc) and is it just a little prick or something worse? Do any of you women feel somewhat on your own in this process. My husband is the most loving, supportive man I have ever met . . . but, I am the one doing all of the tests, and taking the medications,etc. Just wondering. Thanks

[/QUOTE]
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools