Baby Corner

Old 06-23-05, 04:42 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Christina, you're going to do PGD. PGD = preimplantation genetic diagnosis. What the embryologist will do is remove 1 cell from the embryo and test it for the genetic disease you are trying to avoid. You will need to produce 8 cells or better. This is because 1 cell is being removed to be studied. If the cell is free of genetic diseases, they will transfer that embryo. They will discard embryos that test positive for the disorder. Hopefully, you will produce many eggs which fertilize into embryos. There will be a loss rate due to the disorder and because the procedure can weaken the embryos.

Diane, ICSI is a snap. One sperm will be selected and injected into the egg to fertilize it. Also when you do ICSI, the embryologist gets to look over what is available. She/he will select the best of the bunch to use with your eggs not just random fertilization like the rest of us.

You guys can do the shots yourselves. It's scary in the beginning but then it will become second nature to you. I can shoot up while in a moving car. One of my many talents

Guys, I went into this alone and survived. Whether or not I survive single motherhood....well that remains to be seen. But you can definitely get through an IVF cycle. We are all here to support you.

Old 06-23-05, 04:43 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

It does seem to be overwhelming right now . . . but like you said, it is all for a great cause, a healthy happy baby! I think my biggest hurdle right now is just understanding all of this new lingo and what I am gtting ready to put my body through. I am quite frustrated with our insurance also. They cover 80% of artificial insemination, but not a penny for IVF! Oh well, I guess that is one more hurdle to leap over

[QUOTE=dianelynn77][
I feel like we have the same situation. I am 28 and mu husband has extremely low motility. after going to the clinic yesterday, they determioned they will start with IVF with ICSI. I am glad I do not have to go threw wasted cycles, but am horrified with what is abot to take place. My sister has a 1.5 year old with IVF and is now pregnant with twins, I saw all she went threw and its scary. My husband works nights, so who will give me my shots, so many questions shooting around in my head. He is happy they have come up with a plan, but I am scared and sometimes think I am not tough enough to do it. The end result is what matters, a happy baby. Keep me informed abotu all your tests coming up, in about three weeks i have to do all the tests too for insurance to cover it.

Old 06-23-05, 07:00 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Just wanted to quickly chime in and offer you both a

Dh & I live in the Uk, we found out in October '04 that we can only conceive via IVF with ICSI - dh has a low count and his sperm cannot swim at all. I was 27 and all tests on me showed everything was normal. We were concerned that I was going to feel it was me carrying the burden of treatment. It definitely felt very overwhelming and scary. But the drs and nurses guide you through each step at a time and were always happy to answer our questions. If it helps write them down in advance of the appointment.
Over here we're offered councilling as standard before/during/after cycles and we took them up on it. It made us think & plan how we were going to cope individually and together. I decided to use visualisation and meditation with calming music when things felt like they were getting too much. I also booked a 2hr long massage session in for the week before I started stimming. A lot of people here have used Acupuncture and always say it's wonderful for them.
Dh was a needle phobic (still is if its going anywhere near him!) but understood I wanted him as involved as possible in the cycle. He did all my shots for me. He's still disapointed he never got to give me one in my bum!

We asked and were told it didn't matter what time of day we did the shots, just as long as we stuck to that time of day consistently. It was amazing how quickly it became a normal part of our day. When we finally reached the point I had a day off before Egg collection we didn't know what to do with ourselves

Throughout our cycle we focused on just getting to the next stage in the cycle. That helped too. Dh's Human resources department were extremely understanding and allowed him to attend all bar one of my appointments. I still can't believe it's worked (so no it doesn't always take several cycles) and not a day goes by that I don't feel amazed and blessed and extremely grateful to have been gifted such a miracle so fast when so many others have to struggle through so much more. I really hope and pray everyone here gets their miracle on their current/next cycles. Despite having so much less experience and knowledge than many here have had to gain I hope that something of what I've said helps somehow nonetheless.. you both rang a chord in me when I read you're dx.

Glinda has been (and continues to be) a true inspiration to me and dh - she's one of about three people around here that dh asks after (he sends you a

btw.)

Old 06-23-05, 08:12 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Celia,

I read what you wrote and I just wanted to say congratulations to you and your dh. Eventhough we weren't lucky enough to have it happen on the 1st try, I am extremely happy for those of you who it has

Just like everyone else on this website, I know how hard even just one cycle can be, so I am happy when anyone comes on and says they are pg.

How far along are you and how many took? I am 5 days into my 2nd cycle, and it seems to be a little easier this time. Scary as it is to say, I must just be getting used to being poked and prodded

Missy

Old 06-23-05, 08:14 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Just one thing - GLINDA! In the car? You are a rock star! Leslie
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools