Baby Corner

Old 12-26-04, 08:41 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default tell me about femara

Stacy's post got me thinking that maybe I should talk to my doctor about this drug. I only have two cycles left if 12/31 ends with a BFN so I need to maximize my chances!

thanks!

Old 12-26-04, 09:10 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Hey Alicia
After I read Jules' post this month on her success with Femara I tried to find info about it. I also looked up message boards about Femara. What I came up with is this:
- Its really for breast cancer but it's now being used the same way clomid is
- It's not suppose to have the same side effects (hot flashes, mood swings - which I got from clomid)
- It's only suppose to stay in your system for the time your taking it not for weeks like clomid
- It doesn't have the detremental (sp ?) effect on your lining like clomid can

As a bonus, it's covered by insurance (we have to pay for everything out of pocket - no infertility coverage from either of our companies

).

I just think that having only 1 follicle a month is not really helping. I mean if I'm on the clomid I'll suffer through the side effects if it's working, but I can make 1 follicle all on my own. So that's why I'm going to try it. Not trying to "convert" you or anything! lol
-Stac

Old 12-27-04, 05:19 AM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thanks Stacy- If this month doesn't work, I'm planning to take a month break so that will give me time to talk with my doctor etc. It sounds great- I would LOVE (and so would dh) to put an end to the clomid insanity. The mood swings are horrendous!

Old 12-27-04, 05:49 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Hi Alicia--
Well first don't give up on this month. I still have hope that you and I are going to get great NY news. Trying to stay positive anyway.

On to Femara. I got pg twice on Clomid and it wasn't too hard on me. But this "round" of ttc I had blown through 6 cycles of Clomid and no BFP. So when I went for a cycle review my RE told me about Letrazole/Femara. He is a renound RE and had been doing a lot of research on it and thought it had a lot of potential. So w/ faith in him I offered to be the guinea pig. I found a board called TTC on Femara and did some research. As w/ any fertility drug it has it's risks. But from what I hear Femara is the new Clomid in Canada. Anyway I had been doing weekly accupuncture which has helped amazingly. So not sure if it was the drug or teh treatments or both. But my lining went from 8.2 I-M pattern to a perfect 11 M pattern. I had 3 (really 2) symmetrical follies at cd12 (22 and 19 and 17). I had no mood swings or hot flashes...just wanted to eat chocolate. :-)

I won't know for a couple of days if it worked. If it didn't then I'll take Jan off and then try Femara in Feb. For me it is an in between try before going to injectibles. I am not super in to trying injectibles for ME because I was on a lot of those when I did IVF and they did not agree with me. Also I don't want the risk of having a ton of mature follicles like 5 or 6. 2-3 is more my speed.

Anyway I'll let you guys know if it worked. But in the mean time I definitely think that it's worth investigating. As w/ any new drug it was a little frightening since I read it was for post-menopausal breast cancer patients. But it leaves your system after 24 hours versus weeks like Clomid.

that you get your BFP and won't have to worry about all this crap!!!

Old 12-27-04, 05:50 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Also why are we online at 5-something am???

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools