Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments Thinking about having a Lap - Need opinions

Thinking about having a Lap - Need opinions

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-13-06, 12:20 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Thinking about having a Lap - Need opinions

Hey Girls,
I guess I have a few questions. My new RE brought up possibly having a Lap done due to not knowing why I'm not getting pg. No one has ever brought up endo. to me before, but I never had reason to ask about it either. I may have a few symptoms. But 2 yrs ago I had gallbladder surgery and due to complications (my surgeon f'd up) I almost bled out, and nearly died. Needed 2 blood transfusions and a week in the hospital. The main thing is that like a month or two later I was having severe lower abdominal pain and an u/s showed adhesions from the blood. My questions are:

1) Could adhesions cause the same problems as endo? I realize ivf bypasses this issue but if I go back to iui's like Dr. Check suggests, and there's a blockage, there's no point.

2) How major is this type of surgery. I'm deathly afraid (no pun intended!) of surgery. But if it has a significant purpose I'll consider it.

3) How do I find the right Dr.? Surgeon? I think I recall Dr. Check saying something about another Dr. in his practice that could do it. (Faith, I think he said Dr. Brasile. Do you think she does those? Would you go to her for that?)

Thanks for any words of encouragement!

Old 01-13-06, 12:31 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I don't have endo and have lots of adhesions. I did a lap and they cut most of them out and that time said one of my tubes was blocked but the other was open, that was 1990. In 2000 both were blocked from adhesions. Did you have a sonohistogram to check your tubes? That's an easy test. Well it kind of hurts but it's not surgery. The lap was no big deal, I was a little sore for a couple days but it was mostly from the gas they use to blow your guts up. Julie had one too. L

Old 01-13-06, 12:41 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Ya know, good point Leslie. I just remembered, I had an HSG in August 04.

And I believe they said "all clear". Does that mean I don't have to have a lap?!?!

That makes me so happy! Man am I glad I posted this and didn't just make the appt., what a ding bat I am. I can't even blame it on meds!

Old 01-13-06, 12:45 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Well I don't know if that means you don't need a lap. They check other stuff too. Like I had adhesions that were sticking my ovaries to my abdomen wall causing lots of pain. You'd have to find out why they want to do one.

Old 01-13-06, 02:11 AM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Stacy, ya know, I think it's a good thing to have a lap done just for them to check everything out. I was also scared to death, but it's a very simple outpatient procedure. Also, if I were you, I'd insist on an RE doing the surgery!!! I wouldn't have a general surgeon touch my reproductive organs for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite RE did mine and it was really a breeze!! I actually laughed after I had it done for being so afraid of it. I hope you get the thumbs up that everything is clear if you decide to get it done!!! Enjoy the sleep.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools