Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments Thinking about having a Lap - Need opinions

Thinking about having a Lap - Need opinions

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 01-13-06, 10:48 AM
SAHM mom of two.

Thanked 50 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%

Sorry to lurk here. I went through years of infertility before finally agreeing to a lap. I was pregnant naturally four months later (with triplets with no fertility drugs). I think the lap did it for me and I think they are worth it.

JMO.

Amy

Old 01-13-06, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I was having trouble getting pregnant and after almost 2yrs I had a Lap and was pregnant the next month. When I had my lap done I had several tests done at the same time and I think it cleared everything out for me. I have an abnormality from being exposed to DES (a drug my Mom took while pregnant with me so she wouldn't miscarry. The drug was taken off the market soon after because of the issues it can cause to the babies) and my RE tried to fix that for me and I think that helped. I will most likely need another one done soon.

Good Luck!

Old 01-13-06, 01:34 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Hi Stacy,

I had laparoscopic removal of endometriosis back in October. It wasn't too bad, although I thought it would be a breeze, and it wasn't quite that either. I think it varies depending on how extensive the work the surgeon does is. Like, just an exploratory where they really don't do anything is going to be easier than having endo adhesions removed. It will probably seem very easy after your gallbladder removal!

As for endo removal (if you even have endo), what I've heard is that success is pretty dependent on the skill of the surgeon, so it's important to go with someone who does that kind of surgery fairly often. Here's a strange thing though - I've read a lot on the net about doctors who claim they can remove "all" of the endo, and how that's important because it could grow back. But in my case my doc said it was technically impossible to remove it all because it was too extensive. With a lap they can't get underneath all the organs, and sometimes there's so much endo on the surfaces that they'd have to remove the organs themselves (um, not an option!). What I'm getting at is that I don't know if those claims of "getting it all" are really valid. Or maybe I have an incompetent doctor, but I don't think so....

Also, a "lap" just refers to the surgical technique used to go in there (minimally invasive, one or two tiny incisions), not to what they do in there - ie, you could have a lap to have a hernia removed, etc.

Finally, there is some controversy over how much endo actually contributes to infertility(unless it's blocking your tubes or something mechanical like that). Most women have endo removed because they're in severe pain, or in my case because it formed a cyst.

I hope you'll keep us informed on what you find out and what you decide to do and of course I wish you lots of luck!

BTW Emery, I'm also a DES daughter. So far they haven't found any abnormalities (although my uterus is a little tipped) and I have no idea whether it contributes to my infertility or not. I'm glad you were finally able to conceive.

Old 01-13-06, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Wow another DES baby. It isn't too common to know of other people with the same issue. Most people never heard of the drug. I was considered High Risk throughout my pregnancy because often times DES daughters can have an incompetent cervix and usually they do a cerclage (stitch) to help that. Unfortunately because of my abnormality not being fixed completely (there isn't a way to really fix it I guess) they couldn't stitch me up even though they tried at 12 weeks. I spent 6 months on bedrest sometimes it was modified bedrest where I could move around more than other times.

I definitely feel lucky and blessed that I was able to conceive. One of my main issues is I have a vaginal septum which is like a little wall which covers the top corner which makes it very hard to get anything near my cervix.

When I had my lap done they did a procedure where they put a camera into my uterus to make sure it wasn't "T" shaped because that can be another side effect of DES, but luckily I didn't have that.

I'm glad to hear you don't have any abnormalities from the DES. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you are able to conceive soon.

Old 01-13-06, 02:52 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Dr. Brasile probably does laps. I've always heard that Dr. Choe is the best surgeon there. I found her to be heavy handed. I've had several retrievals and only the one that she did hurt. After meeting with Dr. Brasile and having her do my transfer, I'd probably choose her over Dr. Choe.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools