Baby Corner

Old 09-20-05, 03:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Hey Bonnie. I'm 18 weeks 1 day. My girlfriend found out at 12 weeks! They can tell but they usually won't say. Thanks for the words of encouragement Diane, I feel so much better being a snob now! I really don't think it's snobby to want your baby to be in nice clean clothes. I've already spent about 50K to have this little one, I'm not going to dress her in rags now!! Hehe! Leslie (Prez. IVF Snob Club).

Old 09-20-05, 07:19 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Can I be vice pres. of your club Leslie? My sister asked me the other day why I didn't want her hand me down clothes

I am 14 weeks.

Old 09-21-05, 02:13 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

So you're just 4 weeks behind me. Oohh, your sister, that would be a tough one. You might have to be the prez. now! Leslie

Old 09-21-05, 07:22 AM
Community Member

Thanked 126 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Just a quick comment about hand me down clothes -- we got some that were just amazing and others were worn with love.

You can always accept and just have in a box -- pull them out when (the giver) friends or relatives are stopping by or it could be the sets of clothes you plan to send them to daycare when they are totally getting them disgusting.

With DD it was nice to know when they painted - I didn't care about the clothes

Yes they were painting at 6-9 months at our daycare - they put them in the saucers and poured paint for feet to paint and finger painting in the high chair (all geared at good sensory fun)

That may help you avoid confrontations and save the clothes you really like for your use.

Last edited by Eskie; 09-21-05 at 07:31 AM.

Old 09-25-05, 05:07 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 20%

Sorry for the delayed response - I stayed with mum whilst dh was in the states (He Loved NY Glinda!) and she's STILL on dial-up so just checking to see if dh had emailed me left me like

Am catching up on the boards now

Sign me right up for the snob-club! As a second child of four I was nearly Always in my sisters hand-me-downs and Hated it - we're Very different people and always have been! So even before the IVF I was determined that MY baby would have just as many new things as the existing grandchildren have had. The IVF has just strengthened my feelings - we worked damn hard for this baby - and I intend to (and have so far!) enjoyed every second of shopping I've done for it! I've even knitted a couple of bits for it to dh's amazement! (Bumps clothes are nearly all washed and hung in the wardrobe upstairs now - which gives me a warm fuzzy glow every time I go in there - I say almost because I realised when sorting and ironing them that I probably didn't have enough of the first-born size.. so cue a further shopping trip with mum last week

)
I've made my feelings clear to family - whilst accepting maternity clothes from SIL (similiarly sized to me luckily) on the basis that that has left me with more money to spend on bump instead!

. We have however accepted 2 stair gates from BIL - we'll need four in total - & the ski-suits will be handed down - for the one weeks wear a year they get in our family before nephew/niece out-grow them that does seem daft to refuse - my nephew/niece will be the only children to have worn them first. I think it's a very personal line on what you're comfortable to accept or not.
When a work colleague gave dh a bag of things he felt he had to accept and thanked her, we've no intention of dressing bump in them, she won't know either, I've stored them safely and will return them via dh with a note of thanks when the time comes... I'd hate to offend her and I'm not sure if she's finished having children herself.. (some of them are hand-knitted so I'd be terrified of damaging/shrinking them in the wash anyway!)
On the car seat front - we're told here never to use second hand car seats - a) the technology changes so fast new ones are much safer b) you don't know how they've been treated/if they've been in a crash and therefore whether they are still as effective. It's one of the things we're strongly advised NOT to spare expense on here - I'd play the anxious first time mum bit up to the max....
Ok think I've rambled enough for one post... I've missed the boards this last week!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools