Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Trying to Conceive Message Boards > Fertility Treatments Your thoughts needed on research trial.

Your thoughts needed on research trial.

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-16-05, 05:21 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Question Your thoughts needed on research trial.

Hi guys,

As I said in my post a few days ago we have been asked to consider being part of an IVF trail I will post the relevent parts of the information we have been given so you guys can tell me what you think.

"We would like to invite you to invite you to participate in a research project comparing single versus dowble embryo transfer during IVF. The most serious complication of IVF is the high rate of multiple pregnancies and this risk is related to the number of embryos put back in the womb. In the UK where a maximum of 2 embryos are replaced a quater of all pregnancies are twins. Women who are younger and in their 1st or 2nd cycles of treatment face an even higher risk.

The only effective way to minimise twin pregnancies in IVF is to replace a single embryo rather than 2. The proposal is that you undergo a full medicated IVF cycle and 1 embryo is transfered, all other embryos which are of a suitable quality will be frozen and replaced in the womb at a later date one at a time, recent research in Scandanavia has shown that replacing 1 embryo in multiple transfers gives success rates on par with 2 embryos in fewer cycles"

So basically we are entitled to here in the UK 2 full medicated IVF cycles then 1 embryo tansfer. But if we participate in this study will we get 2 IVF and multiple embryo transfers if we have embryos to freeze.

What do you guys think should we participate? We dont have to we could go for the usual 2 embryos put back. I have done an internet search for information and the research out there does show that 1 IVF with 2 ebryos put back and 1 IVF then 2/3 single embryo transfers are equally effective. Part of me would like twins, though part of me would prefer the lower risks of a singleton.

Ruthx

Old 10-16-05, 06:17 PM
is one busy mommy.
Mommy & Trainer

Thanked 155 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 115.1%

It sounds great! I would keep researching to make sure you are comfortable with all aspects; if someone were to offer ME free IVF, I do it in a second. Good luck!

Old 10-16-05, 11:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET!! That sounds awesome!!

Old 10-17-05, 11:13 AM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 0.82%

from the IVF boards - (I cycled at St Jimmys in Leeds back in Jan/Feb). Just wanted to wish you the very best with your cycle whichever route you decide to go Ruth!

I really hope it becomes irrelevant which option you took on your first cycle.

Old 10-17-05, 01:51 PM
Proud Canadian DI Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I would definitely participate since it gives you more opportunities for success! All it takes is one to get pg and your goal should be a healthy baby (not multiples - believe me the risks like they say ARE high)...

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools