Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Fertility Treatments (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/fertility-treatments-299)
-   -   really scared - child mentioned (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/fertility-treatments-299/really-scared-child-mentioned-316164)

pajamas 12-06-06 10:19 PM

really scared - child mentioned

Hi ladies,I posted here a couple of years ago, and have been lurking off and on recently. I have a DD who is 16 months old. My DH and I went back to our clinic today to start the ball rolling for baby #2. I have 2 samples in storage left over, and we just found out from the website that our donor is inactive. I am desperate for my children to be a biological match to each other, since they can't be a match to my DH. Not to be greedy, but I also really wanted 3 kids. Does anyone know how to find out if there are 'extra' samples somewhere that would be available to us? We used Fairfax. I feel like I'm right back to where we started when I found out my DH had no sperm. I also feel like the pressure to get pregnant with what is left is too much for my body. I know the boards haven't been very active lately - that must mean there's a lot of success stories out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you so much.

TNBabyRN 12-07-06 02:38 PM

What donor number was it from Fairfax?? We used Fairfax also and have 3 extra vials. Maybe it is the same one you never know. There also could be a lurker out there with extra vials of your donor. Post the number. Did you try asking Fairfax if they know of anyone with extra vials somewhere besides in their bank?? Our's is at our RE's facility. They may know something. Be sure to tell them it is for a sibling. You could also check the donor sibling registry and just see if there is a way to post a message to see if anyone has any extra vials. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes, I know how important it is to have genetic siblings.

pajamas 12-07-06 03:43 PM

Thank you for the tips. I have been e-mailing Fairfax (donor 1445) and asked to be notified if any came back. They just wrote me right now and said they have 'substandard' vials, which means they don't have the guaranteed # of sperm for their standards. She said we could maybe combine 2 vials in one. I asked for the specific #/motility, and I'm waiting to hear back. We'll have to ask our clinic if they would combine them. The bank sells them at a discount. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? I feel like there is still hope!

glinda 12-07-06 04:21 PM

I just checked the donor sibling registry for you and there are no siblings listed for your donor. Sometimes parents offer their extra vials on there.

No, I haven't heard anyone doing this. However, if the reason the vials are considered substandard is because it is below the guaranteed number of sperm, I think you're fine with using more than 1 vial. They are not saying the sperm is substandard, just the amount.

Good Luck.

pajamas 12-07-06 08:06 PM

Thank you for checking the registry for me. I really appreciate that. I have to hope that things work out with combining two vials.