Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Fertility Treatments (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/fertility-treatments-299)
-   -   doctor says i'm not producing as many eggs... (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/fertility-treatments-299/doctor-says-im-not-producing-many-eggs-387488)

lbentow 01-29-09 07:49 PM

doctor says i'm not producing as many eggs...

I went in for my blood work and u/s and the doctor only saw 4 good eggs. my retrieval is set for sometime next wk, around thurs or friday. she told me today that i'm not producing as many eggs she would like me to, she said 4 is below average. we're going to increase my meds to see if it'll make me produce more eggs, but she said it's a 80% possibility that i should hold off on doing ivf this cycle and wait another cycle. i would just have to order more meds.

what do u think? should i just do ivf this cycle with the 4 eggs (with the knowledge that all 4 might not mature/fertilize?) or just wait? i left the doctor's office crying because i thought we were doing it, did i do something wrong, what's wrong with my body? the doctor said women my age (under 32), with nothing wrong with my tubes, should be producing 15 or so eggs.

i go back to the doctor tomorrow (i'm increasing the gonal f med tonight and tomorrow morning) and going thru with the meds till sunday. she'll decide for sure by mon if we should postpone it but it is ultimately our decision if we want to proceed with just 4 eggs.

amitrat 01-29-09 08:37 PM

Sorry - I have not been through the IVF root. I am guessing that there is no guarante that the 4 eggs will produce 4 embros to put back in - that is a discussion you will have to have with your DR.

I say a prayer that the increased meds help!

pearlgirlulm 01-29-09 08:43 PM

I am so sorry that you are going through this. There is nothing I can say to make you feel good. I had the same thing happen to me 3 months ago. I went to start the drugs and bam!!! the doctor says that I need surgery and that we have to postpone it. I was running out of the office in tears.

I honestly do not know what to tell you. Wait and see how the meds work on Monday. I am praying and crossing my fingers for you.

Tracey and Neil 01-30-09 01:57 PM

So are they saying you have 4 follicles in total? Or 4 dominant ones?

It's possible with the drugs that other follicles could pick up, but I just wanted to point out that 2 days before EC I had follicles measuring 28, 26, 24, 16, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 and a couple of tiddlers under 10mm. Now anything over 18mm has potential, any follicles under 18mm are unlikely to be mature enough. Out of those 11 follicles, I got 3 eggs, and from those 3 eggs, 2 embryo's, and from those 2 embryo's, one BFP.

If 2 days before EC you have 4 follicles that are over 18mm and have potential to contain a mature egg then, personally, I would go for it. Sure, I would have loved 15 mature follicles, but heck I am 17 weeks pregnant, I don't care how many follies I have now! 3 mature follies was enough, and so I'd say if it works it's cost effective!! You don't get a better deal if you get multiples.

You want to be a Mum, and so you just have to decide whether you want to wait another few months for that chance, or whether this cycle could hold your dreams come true.

lbentow 01-30-09 02:08 PM

I just went in again today and I have 4 dominant ones and a 2 or 3 really small ones, that she says will not mature. she says my case is really rare, something she only sees about once a year! she said the meds are working, that's why i have more than one, but she doesn't understand why i don't have more than 4. she said it might be due to stress. so, she recommends that if i wait next month, she'll put me off of work 2 wks prior to egg retrieval (EC?). she also recommends that i do NOTHING this weekend, and i might produce more eggs or follicles?

i was supposed to start menopur and cetrocide(?) this sunday, but she wants me to hold off on it. i am to just take gonal f till sunday, and go in again on mon for u/s and blood. we can then decide if we should postpone it b/c she thinks with my age, i have a potential of having 15 eggs. she says 4 is not 'my personal best.' however, i keep saying 'but it is ultimately our decision to go forward with 4, right?' and she kinda nods reluctantly.

so, what do you think the chances of us getting pregnant with 4? after the egg retrieval, not all 4 wil make it, right?

what if my body can only produce 4 eggs/follicles? what if i postpone it till next month and the same thing happens? i would have felt that i 'wasted' a month.