Baby Corner

Old 03-08-07, 10:43 AM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Question Fish

Does anyone eat fish regularly? I grew up eating mostly ground beef and other red meats. Now I make chicken pretty much every day. My dh loves ground beef, but wow, it's too fatening so we only eat it once in a while. So I want to try to start eating fish. Whats a good fish to start with? Honestly I have no idea how to buy it, or cook it I'm a fish dummy really. I've actually never eaten fish - besides fish sticks, but I don't think those count. My mom hates it so I have never really had a taste for it, but I want to give it a try! Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-07, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

I'm the same way with fish. I found this recipe that I was going to try.

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 (6-ounce) white fish fillets (monkfish, haddock, etc.)
4 teaspoons margarine
4 teaspoons diced ginger root
Lemon slices to cover fillets
Directions:

Set the oven to broil and grease a broiler pan with oil. Combine the flour, salt and pepper on a large plate. Dredge the fillets in flour, covering both sides. Dot the fillets with the margarine, sprinkle them with the ginger and cover with lemon slices. Broil for 5 to 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.

Old 03-08-07, 11:51 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

The way we love it best here is to just put some lemon juice, maybe a bit of butter and some seasoning (play with it and use what you know you like) on the fish and either broil it or grill it. It's really very easy and even my kids love it. Start with Tilapia or Orange Roughy, I think they have a milder taste. But our favorite here is Salmon.

Also, we use ground turkey for everything we used to use ground beef for and can hardly notice a difference. Really, we use it for everything - tacos, meatloaf, whatever. And it's MUCH better for you!

Old 03-08-07, 12:05 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 12%

I agree, Tilapia is a very mild start for a beginning fish-eater. I also like Chilean sea bass (and my husband, the midwesterner who doesn't eat anything that swims, has actually eaten that and liked it OKAY).

If you like ground beef, you'll love ground ostrich. It's a little pricey, but it has half the fat of chicken breast, and it tastes like Angus beef. Mmmmm.

Old 03-08-07, 12:08 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 42%

I love salmon!
I think white fish like haddock, halibut, etc are pretty mild tasting too- if you want to start out slow and get used to the taste. I like to put a few spices on mine and wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven. Yum!

Last edited by Sheri; 03-08-07 at 12:23 PM.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools