Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Good news and bad news

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 11-17-08 | 04:33 PM
  • Well, my regular OB called today regarding my GTT results. They said they'd only call if there was a problem so I was not happy to see them on the caller-ID this morning.

I passed my GTT, so that's good. But my iron levels are "very anemic--need supplement ASAP."

At my high-risk OB appointment, he prescribed Aldomet for me. When I got home, I looked up the side effects of Aldomet and it says DO NOT TAKE WITH SUPPLEMENTAL IRON because iron prevents absorption of the Aldoment.

So I'm playing phone tag with the two offices to figure out what I should do. Of course the high-risk guy says I need the BP medication more than the iron. My regular OB is now out of town for two weeks so her office can only hold to what she wrote, which is to take the intense, 21-day iron regimen.

I'm awaiting a return call from my high-risk OB to figure out what to do. I don't like being in the middle. I'm about to

them both and figure out my own plan!

• MImom23 MImom23's Avatar 11-17-08 | 04:52 PM

•  
    Is there another OB in the regular office that can give your there opnion? I hope someome gives you answers you are comfortable with, what about uping your iron intake in your meals??
  • LAB LAB's Avatar 11-17-08 | 05:20 PM
  • I would think your BP meds are more important. Look up iron rich foods and eat citrus with them so you absorb more iron. Eat a steak with a glass of OJ for example. Spinach salad with orange chunks or strawberries in it. You can raise your iron levels nicely with food sources and your body will rise up much faster then the prescription stuff! I'd try it for 2 weeks and then get tested again and see how you are doing! Good luck!

Laura

• lauralkemp lauralkemp's Avatar 11-17-08 | 06:31 PM
  • it sucks that your OB is out of town. It's so frustrating! I hope you can get all this straightened out. I like the suggestions about diet...also don't forget iron rich cereals and such.
  • amitrat amitrat's Avatar 11-17-08 | 08:36 PM
  • Umm, HELLO?!? Can't they communicate with each other? I'm inclinded to go with the high-risk guy myself and try the iron rich foods (signifcantly after you've taken your BP meds). Can they reach the OB even though he is out of town?