Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Pregnancy Message Boards > January - March Due Date Club Seriously?? A cystic fibrosis carrier?? Seriously??

Seriously?? A cystic fibrosis carrier?? Seriously??

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-09-09, 11:30 AM
is LOVING ALL MY BOYS!!!!!
Community Member

Thanked 125 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Seriously?? A cystic fibrosis carrier?? Seriously??

Ok, I need to like write a book or something. All of my medical issues are really getting out of control now. What, was I created with used, reject parts or what.

So I am at my appt getting weighed, bp etc and I glance at my chart and not only is it stamped in huge red letters GBS CARRIER but then I see CF CARRIER. So I ask the nurse what does that mean? She says oh you are a carrier for cystic fibrosis, but the doc will talk to you about it because we just got these results in.
WTH, I have many issues with this of course but first of all...
I have been pregnant now 5 times, of course 2 ended early, but why wasn't this detected sooner? Second, how in the heck can I be a carrier when there is no history of cf going generations back?
So, the doc said DH had to get tested to see if he too is a carrier and if he is then we have a 25% chance of baby being born with cf, a 50% chance the baby will be a carrier, and a 25% chance baby will be neither and be healthy.
I have mixed emotions, while I am glad to know this (for sure no more babies for me!!!!!) Would it be better to not know?
We went to have Dh tested right after we left my appt. but I think what is the point, because if he is a carrier all we will do is worry.
The results won.t change the fact that no matter how this baby comes out we will love it and take care of it.
Anyone else have some sort of experience or insight for me?

We did get to see the baby again, (they did u/s) but still no gender.
Baby had its legs clamped together at the knees and crossed at the ankles.

The placenta looked like it is in a better position now.
I go back on Oct 21st for the anatomy scan, baby better not be so modest next time or I will really go crazy!

So that is my wacky update, you can always count on me for health drama!

Old 10-09-09, 11:57 AM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Gosh I have no real insight. I just wanted to say that I understand your view on not getting dh tested. I will think of you. Glad you got see the baby again,hopefully next time you can find out what your having!

Thank you countrycutieluv!
wymeg (10-09-09)

Old 10-09-09, 01:01 PM
is wondering around the boards again!!
Mommy of 3

Thanked 316 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

this might be long but here it goes. My DH has 2 cousions with CF so we knew wthere was a chance he was a carrier, but we didn't know of any CF in my family so we turned down that genitic test, then when I was 7 months pregnant with kaylee (who was my 4th pregnancy to become our 3rd child) I found out my sister who was pregnant and her DR automaticly did the genitic testing was a CF carrier. after freaking out a bit and DH and I realized we wouldn't do anything about the pregnancy we did not get tested until after she was born. and we only did it then to find out if we needed to have more testing done on all 3 kids because CF isn't diagnoise (sp??) right at birth.
CF is very treatable, DHs cousions are now 17 & 19, there life expectiancy when DX was 5 years and they live very normal live.
Thank you MImom23!
wymeg (10-09-09)

Old 10-09-09, 01:25 PM
is LOVING ALL MY BOYS!!!!!
Community Member

Thanked 125 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Thank you so much, It is so nerve wracking as it is to be pregnant. It seems like it has just been one thing after another. I appreciate your story, It is a releif to hear about your DH cousins. I did some research and did find that now there is alot that can be done as far as treatment. So I refuse to worry very much, we will take what comes.
Thank you wymeg!
MImom23 (10-09-09)

Old 10-09-09, 04:40 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I hope you get some more answers soon.
Thank you teddybear1082!
wymeg (10-12-09)
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools