Baby Corner

Old 12-19-05, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Birthing center birth?

My Midwife has a licensed Birth Center in addition to doing homebirths. I had to go there for one of my sons because I was in active labor, called the Midwife to come and she had 2 other women in labor at her Birth Center and couldn't come! It was nice and relaxing - she showered us with warm fresh towels after birth and it went fine, but it wasn't like having the baby at home for me. Is anyone planning on a Birthing Center birth or has anyone else had one? What was your experience?

Old 12-28-05, 03:43 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I talked with the midwife who runs

birthcenter. She and the other midwives seem very nice. They have huge tubs and 97% of the birtths there are underwater. I wish that their birth center was a little closer to my home though. It's about 45 minutes away with no traffic; with traffic it could take two hours to get there. Spending two hours in traffic in labor doesn't sound like much fun. I think I'll just stay at home next time.

Old 01-09-06, 06:13 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I had a wonderful experience at our birthing center. Loved the big tub. The two midwives were great. One was there with me all night for most of the labor. Once baby was close, the other arrived.

It was a warm, friendly place. I had wanted a waterbirth, but found it difficult to push in the tub. Ended up getting out and birthing Rosie on the bed. But spent most of my hard labor in the tub.

I had no desire to birth at home. I liked the idea of going someplace special for the birth. This worked out great for us!

Old 06-08-06, 02:33 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Well, after having a homebirth I can't imagine having a baby anywhere else now. Of course, for safety if there were any risks I'd have the baby at the hospital, but it seems that I'm the one more at risk. I hemhorrage after every baby and need the pitocin. So, hopefully they'll never take that away from midwives or I'll be stuck at a hospital for sure!

Old 06-09-06, 01:32 AM
Lucas' Mommy

Thanked 25 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

There are a couple of birth centers in our area, but once I decided to birth at home I never looked for anything different. I pre-registered at a local hospital and had a small suitcase packed for just-in-case, but Lucas came out perfect. The only complication was my tear which landed me in the hospital for 13 hrs. Next time around I'll have a contingency plan in place for me. We had covered all the bases as far as emergency for the baby or myself during labor and delivery, but never thought that I might have post delivery complications. Live and learn.

Latest Articles
New Fertility Monitor Helps Women Conceive
Now, fertility devices are available for women to wear to monitor and track their basal body temperature, which will pinpoint ovulation and provide the best chances for a couple to conceive.

Gaining Too Much or Too Little Weight Linked to Obesity in Children
A new study from the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology has found that women must gain the right amount of weight during their pregnancy to prevent childhood obesity.

Overprotective Husbands During Pregnancy
Is your husband driving you insane by being too overprotective during your pregnancy? Here are ways to handle this common problem without getting into a fight.

Why You Missed Your Period When You are Not Pregnant
Find out what the cause might be when you have missed your period, but a pregnancy test had a negative result.

Getting to Know Baby Before Birth
Want to get to know your baby before birth? Here are seven ways you can bond with your baby during pregnancy.

November 2013 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations briannashae123!

Calculators & Tools