Baby Corner

Old 06-09-06, 05:25 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Do you mind if I ask you about your tear? I tore with Amber and wound up having surgery some time after the birth because of some misadvice from my midwife, whom I think was scared of legal retaliation. It was not a pleasant experience and ultimately has made it so that I will not use her again if I have any further children. If you don't feel comfortable posting about it I understand.

Old 06-10-06, 12:18 AM
Lucas' Mommy

Thanked 25 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I had a second degree tear starting at the perineum and headed up into the side wall of the birth canal. We ended up going to the hospital for stitches. We were expecting just to have a local, a few stitches and be sent on our merry way, but that's not what happened. The full details are in my birth story under the section about the hospital if you care to read

I have had ongoing issues though and DH and I feel that I was either stitched too tight inside or that I have some scar tissue that refuses to stretch because I continue to have discomfort during intercourse. We are thinking about trying for #2 in about another month or so and I have already been planning to call my midwife for some advance advice. I'm wondering if it needs to be re-cut (just a teeny bit) or if we just hope that I won't tear again the second time around. I have been terrified to have it happen again - mainly because it was so painful then, but also because it made my recovery time a lot longer and because it has continued to be a problem.

Last edited by wagnerkr; 06-10-06 at 12:38 AM.

Old 06-10-06, 02:53 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I had massive tearing with a hospital birth, not just surgery to repair but reconstructive surgery after it had healed. the way I had been repaired, I was now peeing on my leg

funny now, but very annoying then. my next birth was almost a yr later, three wks before my dd's first birthday. I was terrified of tearing like that again, but chose a side-lying position for delivery. not even a skid mark!
also with almost all my births, I stall for about an hr between stage 1 and stage 2. as long as mom and baby are doing fine, there is no reason to rush the delivery.

Old 06-10-06, 08:46 PM
Christian Member

Thanked 32 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Well, I think I'd have had a major breakdown being away from Amber that long. See I wasn't told to go and get it fixed by the midwife. She made it seem as though it was nothing so I didn't really look at it until later. Then I realized that it was more serious than she had let on. Then I wondered if maybe I was overreacting and maybe it would just heal on its own the right way. Well, once I had finally chosen to get a second opinion at the ER it was a day late and a dollar short, literally. If I had gone in the day before they would have stitched me up and sent me home.

Anyway, I wound up having surgery because the only doctor I found who would treat me, having had a homebirth and with my insurance, said it would be cruel to do it without anethesia. This despite the fact that I had had an unmedicated delivery. So, I had the surgery, but two of the stitches nearest the outer edge tore through the skin and it didn't heal completely. I was so upset that I had even put our family through that mess only to have half of what I went in to get repaired fixed.

I too have been worried about tearing again, but I figure that it will just get fixed the completely if I do tear again. The only problem is that it does ache at times and hurts sometimes during intercourse. I guess that it will take time for that to go away. The teeny tiny tear I had where my old episiotomy was still hurts during intercourse and its just now starting to not tear afterward.

This experience definitely taught me some things just in case there is a next time. I couldn't push in bed so I don't know if I could have a side lying delivery. I was in the same position in the water as I was on the bed at the hospital to have my son. I just wind up holding on right behind my knees and pulling up toward my chest. Maybe if I hadn't been in such a hurry this last time I could have experimented.

Old 06-11-06, 03:19 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I had a birth center birth with my youngest daughter,. It was great. I labored at hoe for 27 hours, went to the BC to find out I was only 4 cm, ( i was 3 the day before) and they broke my water and I got in the tub. I got to 8 really fast, like 1 hour and got stuck at 8 in transition of 3 hours, They were going to transport me to a hosptial, but at 41 weeks pregnant, and after 33 hours of labor i was NOT going. i started puching at 8 and had my girl about 4 pushes later .( she was SUNNY side UP!) and then I went home in 2 hours.
I decided though for me homebirths are good. I delivered my SB son 3 weeks ago at home with my midwife and i figure if I can make it thru that I am ready for the next baby. ( we knew he was dead for 4 weeks so it had nothing to do with the birth) Hubby loved the birthcenter and was sooo against them before Emma was born, but now he recomends it. I even heard him telling someone at work to consider a home birth

That was just CRAZY coming from my hubby

Latest Articles
The Importance of Baby Talk and Why Fathers Need to Do it More
A new study shows that verbal communication with babies happens more by Moms more than Dads. If you are a new Dad, here are some tips for talking more to your baby.

Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

Fertility Rates In Career Women Are Rising
Fertility rates are rising for career women, as it is becoming less difficult to raise a family while working. Here are some facts and tips to help guide you along the way.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools