Baby Corner

Old 12-17-07, 09:38 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Breech Position?

We had another one of our checkups today. It is always a bit scary until you hear that little heart beating away. Music to our ears. We also found out that everything is looking good from the ultrasound except that the baby is in a breech position. He told us that we do not have to be afraid of anything and that most babies turn before being born. I asked him and he indicated that if it was still breeched closer to the due time that he would perform a cesarean section (c-section).

I had heard about this before and knew it was a surgery but what does it really mean and why do babies breech. That is what I am learning about now online as I write this post.

Breech

[An article] indicates that, "The vast majority of breech babies are fine. There are, unfortunately, increased risks of problems (abnormalities) in babies that stay breech into the last few months of pregnancy. Therefore, you have some reason to be concerned about your baby's health. Remember, an increased risk does not mean a high risk, just a higher risk than normal. Fortunately, the normal risk is low, so even an increased risk is still low.... About 30 percent or so are breech earlier in pregnancy (16 to 20 weeks), but only about 3 percent are breech at birth. Most do turn around at sometime during the pregnancy, but when they turn around is subject to chance, as far as we can tell. When we see a breech baby later in pregnancy (after 34 weeks), we talk about version. This is the process of turning the baby by pushing on your belly to get it to turn around." Click on the article name above for more information.

Cesarean Section (C-Section)

[Another article] indicates that, "A cesarean section, or c-section, is the delivery of a baby through a surgical incision in the mother's abdomen and uterus. In certain circumstances, a c-section is scheduled in advance. In others, it's done in response to an unforeseen complication."

What are your experiences with a breech position or Cesarean Sections?

Last edited by Dopey406; 12-17-08 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removing links to competitors' sites

Old 11-21-08, 09:12 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

You could still have a vaginal birth

Old 11-21-08, 10:13 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

I am a bit confused on what the increased risks are for a baby that is breech, do they mean as far as delivery are concerned or just risks for the baby's general health? My son was breech and as far as we can tell so is this baby. My son and this baby were/are both repeat c-sections so my OB hasn't shown any concern about position.

My first c-section was unplanned and after 16 hours of labor, 8 hours on pitocin, having horribly painful contractions and never dialating past 1cm. By the time my DD was born I had been up for 36 hours hadn't eaten in 24 hours and was so out of it I could hardly understand what was going on around me.
My second c-section which was scheduled ahead of time, was so much nicer. I was rested, in no pain, very aware of everything that was going on, felt a part of everything and as in control as one could be in that situation. I am hoping my 3rd c-section goes as nicely.

Old 11-23-08, 03:37 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

We found out our daughter was in the breech position fairly early and the dr of course told us that most babies turn. And there was lots of times when she was moving a lot and I felt lots of pushing, so I though for sure she was turning. But she didn't. She was apparantly very comfortable, or possibly stuck, who knows? Her head was right at my rib cage, her butt was on my bladder, and her feet were up by her head, so it was like a jack-knife dive position..and she was turned facing the back slighty.

The dr's told me about the aversion method, stating the percentage of it working is not usually very high and they end up having to do a c-section anyways. They explained the actual process as being like 2 men shoving on my belly and that it's painful. They admitted that it may not work, adding that b/c I was also petite and my belly was huge (all baby) that there may not be enough room for her to move around. So, I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for 6 days before my due date. Of course they always checked her position and even did an ultrasound right before surgery to make sure she ahdn't changed. She hadn't.

I am attaching a pic of my "breech baby." All the nurses said as soon as you unswaddle her, you knew she was the "breech baby." (I should let you know that her legs did not stay like that. We did have to take her to have an ultrasound on her hips when she was 6 weeks old, but everything was normal)

You can read my entire birth story in the July-September 2008 Playgroup, and I go into much more detail about the surgery.
Attached Thumbnails
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-17-08, 06:55 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

i hope all goes well for you xx
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools